Aspiring Contributor
Adrian007
Accepted Solution

Broadband Upgrade - Computer Says No!

Our local exchange, Malmesbury 01666, has been upgraded to accept orders for BT Infinity and I've been following the progress of installation of a new street cabinet longside the existing cabinet that serves our village. The cabinet is installed and a couple of neighbours have checked the BT site and are able to upgrade to Infinity if they want to. However when I called BT today I was told that my line will not support Infinity and the maximum speed I can get is bewteen 1MB/s and 5.5MB/s but I could upgrade to Superfast Broadband and get 4MB/s download. At this point I really felt that I was talking to an idiot which became even more convincing after I pointed out that for the last 18 months my connection sync speed has been over 8MB and download speed around 7.1MB/s. Despite the fact that today  BT's own line speed test showed 8.25MB/s connection and 7.1MB/s download the BT represenative on the other end of the line insisted that my maximum speed was never going to be higher than 4MB/s.

I really want BT Infinity and believe that I will get around 16 to 20MB/s as I'm about 1600m from the new fibre street cabinet and with a current consistent download speed over a non-fibre link of more than 7MB/s yet I'm unable to progress beyond the BT call centre. I even checked that PlusNet will offer me a fibre service (copper from the cabinet) yet BT are effectivey telling me "computer says no"

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get around this issue?

Guru
jac_95

Re: Broadband Upgrade - Computer Says No!

Hi Adrian007,

What does it say for your landline number when you go to http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl ?

Does it say anything for WBC FTTC?

Cheers

I'm no expert, so please correct me if I'm wrong
Aspiring Contributor
Adrian007

This is what it says, I'm on ADSL 2+ at the moment and getting a stable Downstream rate of over 7MBps

Available Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Featured Products

WBC FTTC

Up to 4.2

Up to 0.9

--

Available

WBC ADSL 2+

Up to 3

--

1.5 to 5.5

Available

WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M

Up to 3

Up to 0.5

1.5 to 5.5

Available

ADSL Max

Up to 2

--

1.5 to 4.5

Available

WBC Fixed Rate

--

--

Available

Fixed Rate

--

--

Available

Other Offerings

Fibre Multicast

--

--

--

Available

Guru
jac_95

[ Edited ]

Thanks Adrian007,

The reason why BT Retail say you can't get FTTC BT Infinity is because the FTTC estimation is below 15mbps.

However you should be able to get BT Faster Unlimited Broadband (FTTC) which is the same as BT Infinity FTTC but for those who have been estimated 15mbps or less on FTTC

BT Retail set a minimum speed required in order to get BT Infinity which is an FTTC estimation of 15mbps or above, if you have been estimated less than 15mbps for FTTC then you won't be able to get BT Infinity but may be given the choice of BT Faster Unlimited Broadband which still uses the same FTTC Openreach infrastructure and equipment .

Also bear in mind that the estimations are just an estimated figure based on several factors, so the speed can be higher or lower then stated in the estimation.

You can try ringing:

uk sales: 0800 7830 056

options team (UK based) : 0800 800 030

Cheers

Hope that helps,

Cheers

Aspiring Contributor
Adrian007

I was offered BT Faster Unlimited Broadband but it wasnt explained that this is using fibre from the street cabinet to the exchange. Is it likely to be faster that what I get at the moment? I know we will never get fibre to the house but unfortunately when you talk to the call centre their knowledge is rather thin. I was hoping that if I'm getting a 7MBps download rate over copper wire all the way to the Malmesbury exchange then by being able to connect so that it's fibre from the cabinet the speed would go up. I'm 1600m from the cabinet and thew cabinet is about the same distance from the exchange.

Guru
jac_95

[ Edited ]

@Adrian007,

I'm afraid there is no real way of telling until the service is installed in your property

FTTC fibre broadband uses VDSL or VDSL2 signals that travel from the FTTC cabinet to your property via the existing copper (sometimes aluminium) line. The further away you are from your FTTC cabinet the slower the fibre FTTC broadband will be.

However VDSL/2 signals used for FTTC broadband connection degrade far quicker in terms of distance than conventional ADSL broadband signal do.

Generally speaking if your landline is over 1500 meters in length from the FTTC cabinet to your property then you may not be able to get BT Infinity as you may not be able to achieve over 15mbps from an FTTC service, though may be offered BT Retail's sub 15mbps FTTC service called BT Faster Unlimited Broadband.

Here is a graph that shows the ADSL(G.DMT,ADSL2 and ADSL2+) and VDSL/2 (FTTC) signal with distance. Please be aware that all ADSL connections are depend on distance from local exchange, where as FTTC (VDSL/2) connections are depend on distance from your FTTC (DSLAM) cabinet. Though all connection types are also depend on line quality.

This graph is also just a general estimation of what the speed could be achieved and not the actual speed you will receive. Also your line maybe longer than you would think as it may not go the direct way to either the cabinet or exchange.

Hope that helps,

Cheers

Aspiring Contributor
Adrian007

Thank you, your explanation makes a lot of sense.

Aspiring Contributor
Adrian007

[ Edited ]

At the moment using the BT Broadband Speed test I'm getting consistently:

Connection speed 8.25Mb

Download speed 7.24Mb 

Upload speed 0.93Mb

When I go to see what services I can get I'm offered BT Broadband (my current package) with an estimated download of 3Mb and a download speed range of 1.5Mb to 5.5Mb OR BT Faster Unlimited Broadband with a download speed of 4.2Mb and upload of 900Mb. (I reckon that it should say 900kb as I cannot see how the upload speed can be that fast)

Clicking ion the question mark symbol it says that this service uses the Upgraded Fibre Optic Network. My 12 month minimum contract period comes to an end next month so not sure if I should do anything and instead just let it move to a rolling contract as my worry is that if I ask to change and BT "regrade" me to BT Faster Unlimited my speed may actually decrease. According to the graph I should see an increase to around 12 to 15Mb download based on the distance to the cabinet.

Beginner
Bullet

Hello,

Thank you for creating this post and for those that have replied.

I also live in Malmesbury and have been waiting and waiting .... for FTTC to arrive since the exchange was upgraded in 2013.

This link is very useful telling me that FTTC should arrive for me in March 2014

http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Phone Line Predicted Speed and Availability - num removed.PNG

Which incidentally indicates that my ADSL2+ download speed should be in the region of 5-7Mbps.

I must be very lucky then as it's double that!

Thomson Router Sync ADSL2 - Plus.PNG

So all I have to do is wait till the end of March for Cabinet 6 to be enabled with FTTC.

This will make a big difference to me as an IT Professional working from home; FTTC should provide an increase in upstream bandwidth of approximatly 9 times the current rate of 1,024kbps. This is really important to me as I spend a huge amount of time sharing my screen at the same time as using VOIP, with the VOIP frequently impacted when swapping complex screen images. Whilst tweaking QoS in the router would help, there is no real substitue for a faster connection in the first place.

Lastly advances in VOIP integration mean that my mobile phone is now permanently turned off and redirected to my VOIP number, such that I can easily jump from one phone call to another without ever having to pick up the mobile or use anything other than my mouse. Same with dialing out too, I just pick a contact from MS Outlook and dial the number, no more pressing buttons on the mobile or BT POTS phone, same with joining conference calls. Just some improvements to always tell me who is calling and all will be perfect in hopefully April.

Thanks again

Bullet

Sage
imjolly

[ Edited ]

the 31/3/14 date is an estimate holdiing date and not a fixed date for upgrade to fibre  you need to write to openreach with phone number and cab number and they will reply with a specific answer   

nga.enquiries@openreach.co.uk
If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.