Beginner
mspar

Bt Home Hub 3

I have had to replace my Infinity Router supplied by BT with a Cisco router(800 series) because of work related security issues and VPN access.  The wireless access point supplied with the Cisco router is OK but I would prefer to use my BT Homehub 3 - it is much faster and has better signal around the house - but can I get it too work.  Any ideas?  Can I use HH3 as separate wireless access point to replace the Cisco wireless access?  I have 2 computers hard cabled into the Cisco router via Cat 5 cable from my office to the NT 5 box in the front room and have tried plugging the HH3 into the Cisco router in similar manner to the original BT set up but it does not recognise that Broadband is active.

Guru
sjtp

Re: Bt Home Hub 3

[ Edited ]

First, connect a device to the home hub and log into the web interface.  Don't connect to the modem or the Cicso.  Don't worry there won't be a broadband connection.  Change the home hub IP address to one in the Cisco's address range, but not in its DHCP range. Turn OFF the DHCP server on the HomeHub.

Now connect from the Cisco into a LAN connection on the home hub; NOT into the WAN connection as you would when connecting to the modem directly the modem.  This should have the home hub working as a wired and wireless switch, with the Cisco controlling things such as DHCP addresses.

I used my HomeHub when it first arrived connected to my BeBox in this way; to test out good position for the HomeHub before install.  It worked fine.  However, there was a recent post where someone else tried something very similar but didn't get it to work.

Expert
DeanM

Re: Bt Home Hub 3

sjtp wrote:

First, connect a device to the home hub and log into the web interface.  Don't connect to the modem or the Cicso.  Don't worry there won't be a broadband connection.  Change the home hub IP address to one in the Cisco's address range, but not in its DHCP range. Turn OFF the DHCP server on the HomeHub.

Now connect from the Cisco into a LAN connection on the home hub; NOT into the WAN connection as you would when connecting to the modem directly the modem.  This should have the home hub working as a wired and wireless switch, with the Cisco controlling things such as DHCP addresses.

I have something similar to this at home and can confirm it works fine!

Dean
BTCare Community Mod

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.