Aspiring Contributor
ukbootlegs
Accepted Solution

Can I get Infinity 2?

I tried to upgrade and at the end I got this message

As a BT Infinity customer you are already getting the best speeds possible on your package. To find out whether you could go even faster by upgrading your BT Infinity package please visit www.bt.com/infinity to find out more.

does that mean I can't get Infninity 2?

I am already very disappointed by Infinity as the quoted 5mb upload speed I thought I would get is actually just 2.5mb.

I only moved from 19mb ADSL to 25mb FTTC coz I wanted faster upload speed.

I was hoping Infinity 2 may give me the faster upload speed but i think I am buggered :smileysad:

As I said, I am disappointed and gutted to be tied into an 18month contract as a result.

Contributor
carvell

Re: Can I get Infinity 2?

[ Edited ]

It sounds like you are a fair way away from your cabinet.

Infinity 2 will not increase your broadband speed, unless you were already getting 37Mb download and 8Mb upload.

If you currently get less than 37Mb down 8Mb up then the 80Mb Infinity 2 upgrade will do nothing for you, hence why BT won't let you upgrade to it.

Aspiring Contributor
ukbootlegs

That's a **bleep**

I just rang them and they said my exchange is in the process of being upgraded to 80/20 but I didn't know if that was **bleep** or not.

I guess if what you are saying is true then I am stuffed.

I am actually fairly close to a cabinet but for some reason I am hooked into one a bit further away.

Guru
Webby

That's just the way the OR network is my friend. The closer cab may have had to be added for additional customers after the one you're served from became full.

Your exchange isn't being upgraded to 80/20. It's got nothing to do with the exchange, it's software that runs the MSANs in the cabinet and the change in software was done nationally in November.

What's your speed estimation when you put your number in to the BT Wholesale availability checker?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Aspiring Contributor
ukbootlegs

Webby, speed estimation is exactly as it was for Infinity 1.

I don't believe the first cab is full, as the OR engineer said this is the first house in the area he has done.

But nevermind, only 17months to go before I can move :smileyhappy:

Thanks for your reply chap, I figured BT were fibbing me when I called them.

I am more than delighted with the d/l speed, but I don't achieve the upload speeds quoted which is what bothers me the most.

Guru
Webby

Appreciate the "17 months before I can move" but the speeds will be the same whoever you go with as all FTTC connections are provided via the Openreach GEA network.

Price is the only difference and at the moment, no one is cheaper that where you're at :smileywink:

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Aspiring Contributor
ukbootlegs

No, I appreciate the fact I won't get different speeds, but I wouldn't have moved from my ADSL.

I was with BE and I paid £12.24 a month for 19mb/1.3mb for completely unlimited.

I had been paying this special price for over a year and was always very happy with BE.  I would have stayed on ADSL with them if they would at least announce when FTTC would have been available.

Guru
Webby

I assume your estimation was the same before you went ahead and applied for the upgrade though mate?

If so, without being mean, it's your own fault really.
Aspiring Contributor
ukbootlegs

No speed estimation gave me 24.9/5

Though in reality, I get 29mb/2.5

Nevermind though, c'est la vie etc.

It's still faster than I got on ADSL

Guru
Webby

:smileyhappy: