Contributor
HopelessConnection
Accepted Solution

Can I move the router + modem around my house? [READ FOR DETAIL]

Hi, on thursday I am having BT Infinity installed.

At this moment in time, my setup is this:

My computer is upstairs, I have my router up there connected to it. The wire from the router goes to a socket in this room through a broadband/phoneline filter. (I just put the broadband in)

I noticed for BT Infinity there's a new face plate being put on the master socket by my door. Normally, for speed issues, I bring the router downstairs and set it up there. With Infinity, I will have a router + modem. Once it is installed downstairs, can I still bring it upstairs to connect to my PC?

Any help very appreciated! 

Thanks

Rory.

Expert
astar27

Re: Can I move the router + modem around my house? [READ FOR DETAIL]

the modem must be installed at the master socket. however the engineer can change extensions to masters if they're skilled enough and the quality of your extensions is good enough. i think your best bet (if you don't mind having a wire running up the house) would be to have the modem at the master socket downstairs, and get the engineer to install a data extension cable which can go for up to 30m.
Expert
ironman123

[ Edited ]

Hi,

As you have a phone socket upstairs [the one that you now use],it would be a good plan to ask the installer to put the faceplate onto that socket,it would then be the master.

The socket by your door [downstairs] would then just be a normal phone socket.

You could plug a phone into the upstairs or downstairs sockets that way and your OR modem & HH3 could then be used upstairs.

To sum up,Infinity uses the master socket,so if the installer will make your upstairs socket the master,job done.

Contributor
HopelessConnection

@ironman123

But is it still possible I can have the BT modem + router downstairs for installation and then move upstairs anyway?

(I usually get better speeds upstairs than the master socket and it is more convenient)

Expert
ironman123

[ Edited ]

Nope! because if the upstairs socket is not the master infinty will not work,it needs to be installed on a special faceplated master [or converted master],and filters are then not needed.

You could have the plate put downstairs,but then you have to run more wiring etc.

The infinity faceplated master has a normal phone socket and a data cable output plug too,so making the upstairs socket the master makes sense to me as you don`t have to change anything.

BTW,your OR modem and HH3 router would be upstairs too.:smileyhappy:

Contributor
HopelessConnection

Ok thanks for your help! Much appreciated.

Contributor
HopelessConnection

Hi, sorry just bumping this for a similar question. I was reading through BT Infinity help links and it says it has to be at the master socket. So if I want it upstairs, can they 'change' my master socket to upstairs?

And what's with the modem/what does it do/does it affect the position im in?

Help appreciated!

Distinguished Expert
Bullitt

Yes, they CAN change that, but there's no guarantee they WILL. You can ask though. Infinity comes with a seperate modem which connects to the phone socket and a seperate router which connects to your PC's.
Contributor
HopelessConnection

Ok thanks, so I could just have my router upstairs and my modem at the master socket downstairs? 

Expert
astar27

you're router must be connected to the Home Hub by an ethernet cable...