Contributor
grumpy12

Cornwall Superfast Broadband Project

Having contacted the project team I am still confused as when my local exchange will be enabled for fibre optic BB and subsequently when I will be able to order BT Infinity.

I have checked my postcode and it isn't available yet so I am on BT Total BB with a download speed of around 6.5mbps and a profile of 7.5 mbps, which isn't bad. I am 404 metres as the crow flies and about 1.5km by road from the exchange.

Having checked a couple of websites it seems that my exchange (Mevagissey WWMEVA) is due to rollout at the end of March 2012 with the method stated as FTTP. Openreach have been cabling the village and have strung new cables on the road at the bottom of our road, this was last November.

Cornwall Superfast BB project have advised me that my phone is on an exchange only line and that Infinity BB may be available to me later on in the year. They also have advised that fibre wil be rolled out by both FTTC and FTTP. I did point out that in the 26 years I have lived here I have only seen 1 cabinet on the outskirts of the village and that most of the village seems to be connected directly to the exchange by cables on poles and if like me ducted underground.

Can someone speculate what method will be used to get fibre BB to me as I don't seem to get a reasonable answer from Cornwall Superfast BB project.

Sorry I have been a bit long winded any answers would be appreciated.

Guru
Webby

Re: Cornwall Superfast Broadband Project

[ Edited ]

No one can really answer this until it becomes available. If you are on an exchange only line with no cabinet then the only product that could be supplied is FTTP.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Contributor
grumpy12

Thanks for that. I guess that I will just have to wait and see what happens.

Beginner
ravon2109

i think you'll find some of what "webby" has replied will be correct : "No one can really answer this until it becomes available."

but the rest : "If you are on an exchange only line with no cabinet then the only product that could be supplied is FTTP." could well be incorrect.

for 1 reason most exchanges now are having "cabinets" put outside them for "exchange only" customers so they can have "fttc".

if you are in an area close to the exchange with lots of people in it you more than likely will run off the new cab that will/has be/been built as it will be the fastest and easiest way to supply high speed internet to the masses and in my eyes the most sensible way of doing it.

hope this helps and by the look of the age of this thread may also have already happened

Distinguished Expert
pippincp

ravon2109 wrote:

i think you'll find some of what "webby" has replied will be correct : "No one can really answer this until it becomes available."

but the rest : "If you are on an exchange only line with no cabinet then the only product that could be supplied is FTTP." could well be incorrect.

for 1 reason most exchanges now are having "cabinets" put outside them for "exchange only" customers so they can have "fttc".

if you are in an area close to the exchange with lots of people in it you more than likely will run off the new cab that will/has be/been built as it will be the fastest and easiest way to supply high speed internet to the masses and in my eyes the most sensible way of doing it.

hope this helps and by the look of the age of this thread may also have already happened

Webby is correct. There are many EO lines that stretch further than a cab can supply Infinity speeds, the only solution for them is FTTP.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cabinet comissioning process.

Get your IP Profile by running this speedtest (then Further Diagnostics) .

[url=http://valid.canardpc.com/2640296][img]htt//valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/2640296.png[/img][/url]

Get your IP Profile by running this speedtest (then Further Diagnostics) speedtest.

[url=http://valid.canardpc.com/2640296][img]http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/2640296.png[/img][/url]
Beginner
ravon2109

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Webby is correct. There are many EO lines that stretch further than a cab can supply Infinity speeds, the only solution for them is FTTP.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

again almost correct, there may well also be radio link or 4g for customers that are past the drop off point for fttc - so fttp would not be the only solution.

still there is no hard and fast for this as far as i know, as cornwall is still under developement there is no exact solution and as we are the first in the country to do this properly we have no-one to look to for guidance, but i can probably assure you if 3 customers live 9km's from the exchange then fttp would not be their solution as the expense/effort for getting a fibre to them would by far out way the worth of doing it, but super fast have said everyone will have "some form" of fast internet - this does not neccessarily mean fttp or fttc.....!