Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Correctly Setting Up BT Infinity using BT Power Adaptors supplied with a Vision Box

[ Edited ]

I need some advice on the setting up of my new pc with BT Infinity. My PC is in a Cabin ouwith the main house and I have used the power adaptors that came with a BT vision box we received to connect my pc to the Infinity. Only thing is I am not sure if I'm doing it right?

Firstly, The Extension lead that holds the Openreach box and the Hub 3 has been plugged into the 1st Power Adaptor in the house and the 1st adaptor lead has been plugged into the hub 3 gig-e port.

Secondly, I plugged the other Power Adaptor into the wall socket in the cabin and put the extension lead for all the pc stuff into that, connected the adaptor lead to my pc ethernet port.

Bt Engineer says that our speed is 38mb down / 7mb up, but couldnt setup the Infinity to run directly in the cabin because it was xternal to the property!!!! when I download stuff from net I am getting approx 3.8 to 4.2mb of download speed. Is this correct?

Any help is much appreciated!!!

Distinguished Sage

Re: Correctly Setting Up BT Infinity using BT Power Adaptors supplied with a Vision Box

It could be that the powerlines cannot handle infinity speeds you have some models cannot
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Aspiring Expert

Re: Correctly Setting Up BT Infinity using BT Power Adaptors supplied with a Vision Box

Idealy for these power ethernet modules to provide the speed you need, they need to be on the same ring main otherwise the speed will drop dramatically,

Nothing beats running a proper CAT5e or CAT6 cable.

To be honest, the ethernet plug devices are a joke.

Guru

when I download stuff from net I am getting approx 3.8 to 4.2mb of download speed. Is this correct?

Just to clarify, are you getting 3.8 to 4.2 megaBytes download speed, or 3.8 to 4.2 megaBits?  If you are getting those values in metaBytes, that is about the speed you would expect with 38megabit connection and your internal network working well.

Conventionally and confusingly, mb refers to megabits, and mB to metabytes.  Connection rates and speedtesters usually talk in megabits.  Downloads are often quoted in megabytes.  8 bits per byte, and there is always some overhead in network protocols etc, so as an easy quick estimate download speeds in megabytes are 1/10 of the connection speed in megabits.

Thanks for the advice guys. I have discovered that the cabin is on its own Ring circuit seperate from the house one where the Hub and Openreach box are. (DARN!!!!!) So I think I will use the 25mtr Cat6 lead I have to connect it. Should I use the Gig-E port on the Hub 3 for this lead?

Cheers!!

Your a star mate, I wondered why this was different!! Yeah the 3.8 to 4.2 is the megabytes when downloading games/music/videos.

Cheers buddy!!

The ones supplied by BT have Simpler Networks printed on the front of them. I believe they are also 200mbps

As discovered later it prob doesn't help my PC is powered from a different ring circuit to the one in the house that is connected to the Hub and the Openreach box.

Aspiring Expert

[ Edited ]

The ring circuit thing will make a difference if you are using the power to ethernet converters, which you may not be.

I just had it in my head from your post that you may-well be, only probably because I was just talking to a customer about them, and he was having a major drop in performance by going between the downstairs and upstairs ring.

If you're not, and there is no ethernet over the ring, then you're not having this issue.

I have the BT supplied white Simpler Networks 200mbps adaptors. These came with our BT vision box and I decided to try using them as a simpler method than trying to route a cable NEATLY from the hub to the PC. But know now that the cable option is going to be better.
Aspiring Expert

OK, I've never been a fan of these power-ethernet adapters.

Where are you getting the speed from when you test? Is this from speedtest.net or when downloading a file?