Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Beginner

DSL light blinking on Openreach modem, phone line occasionally crackles...?

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I've been having an issue with my broadband connection over the last week or so. The DSL light blinks, the light on the HH4 turns orange and my family have reported crackling on the phone line and when I am connected my speeds seem all over the place. Used to be a fair 60-70mb/s and now it's all the way down to 5-->20-->50mb/s.

May be related; the Speedtest site which I've used a number of times has also moved my 'location' down south in London while I live in the North West. You can select a server to check speed but it always got my location right. 

Could there be a connection? A quick google says a faulty phone linee causes the crackling and may affect the braodband connection but just wanted to make sure. It comes and goes, like now, everything seems fine, all llights are one, light is blue etc and I haven't changed a thing. 

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Beginner

Re: DSL light blinking on Openreach modem, phone line occasionally crackles...?

Have you asked BT?

Guru

If you have crackling on you line that is the cause of your problem.

You need to report a phone line fault. Do not mention broadband.

Beginner

Okay will do. I take I need to report it via THIS PAGE or the phone? Hopefully it sorts it out, will report back when I get some results. Thanks. 

Aspiring Expert

[ Edited ]

I had a similar problem with my landline at the start of the year that did rather BT a while to resolve but it was an intermittent issue which are always a pain to fix.

You need to confirm if the crackling on the line is heard via a wired handset via the master test socket - the phone jack hidden behind the infinity faceplate. This will disconnect any extensions internally and will confirm the fault is located on BT side rather than your own.

You can also dial the BT line test number - 17070 and conduct a quiet line test. Ideally try to log the time of day it happens and the weather if possible as this can be helpful to locate the fault.

----
BT Infinity (EASTF) 58.93/15.94 Mbps [IP Profile: 60.8/20 Mbps] using Openreach Modem & Billion BiPAC 7800N

Beginner

Okay, update. Had an engineer come around first thing in the morning, at 8am last Monday, I wasn't home but was told he fiddled with the main phone socket. It fixed the crackling and intermittent broadband connection.

Speed was abysmal at start but by the weekend it had gotten back to the 50/60mb range. I was well pleased and was going to report back here with good news.

However the problem has returned Smiley Sad I suspect the RAIN has something to do with it, or at the very least its the line outside my house. Will ask for an engineer again, my biggest worry being charged for something that I have no control over. So temp solution will make sure I'm home next time an engi calls to make sure all possible problems get looked at.

Beginner

Apologies, there doesn't seem to be an edit function? Crackling on the phone is still present (double checked on the Quiet Line test) but my internet came back on. BT wholesale speedtest reports speed at 50mb/s. No idea if it'll stick around, that and reporting another fault would be easier if the BT site was actually optimised for mobiles. /sigh I guess I should report it while it's still up.