Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Beginner
Accepted Solution

Do I Need a New Phone Line?

Hi,

Me and my family have been recently thinking of moving to BT Infinity (or Sky, depending on the circumstances) and I was wandering how i can find out if i need a new phone line. We are in a strange situation as our current phone line that we use is old and gives us horrific speeds so although we are eligible for BT Infinity we are schepticle as to whether our current line will support Infinity and the speeds that we are said to be able to get, however we have a second dormant line to our house (installed some time around 2005) that we were wandering if BT Infinity can be connected to. If Infinity cannot be connected to the dormant line, I was wandering how i could figure out if my current phone line can handle Infinity and if there is some sort of simple test i can do.

Thanks,

Carwyn Nelson

Distinguished Sage

Re: Do I Need a New Phone Line?

enter your number into this checker http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.TelephoneNumberOutput this will give you the speed of your FTTC (infinity)connection

john46 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
Distinguished Sage

infinity speed is based on the distance from your home to the local green street cabinet not the exchange as before

Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
Beginner

My nearest cabinet is about a 5 minute walk away, and my nearest exchange is just less than a mile away so i will have no issues with speeds due to the distance from my nearest cabinet or exchange. Its my phone line im worried about, nothing to do the exchange or the cabinet just my phone line.

Distinguished Sage

[ Edited ]

try the checker that will tell you

the possibility of the line having a problem is reduced as the copper line length is reduced as it is only the length of copper betwen your home and the cabinet 

Try a Search
Beginner

[ Edited ]

I'm either being really stupid here, or we have a mis-understanding. Here is a speedtest i just did:

This test is a very good day for me, usually I'm reaching speeds of around 1.5 downstream and 0.15 upstream. What i am concerned about is because of my such low speeds can MY telephone line (meaning the line going from the telephone pole in the street to my house) get good speeds with BT Infinity. I did do the test, and i came up with the results that i always come up with however i'm just wandering if i need a new line or switching to the newer line (2005 installed) would be a better option or whether indeed i need a whole new phone line for BT Infinity. 

As a further question, I have been told on the phone by BT that to install BT Infinity i will not need an openreach engineer to come to my house, however we have never had infinity or any fibre optic internet in this house so i would assume that we need an openreach engineer to set everything up.

Expert

They wont switch you over. Theres a chance the external portion of the line has been re-used already. Your line is most probably fine and will support infinty with no problems. The engineer will test what speeds you are getting once installed and if he finds a problem should fix it then and there.

Beginner

Thanks for the reassurance, that was just the answer i was looking for and it also looks like a BT engineer will need to come to the house to install BT Infinity.

Distinguished Sage

@bacondrinker if you click on the link i posted and then enter your phone number including dialling tone it will give you an estimate of your infinity speed
http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.TelephoneNumberOutput

Try a Search