Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Do i NEED to connect to the master socket?

Hello, i am new to infinity and i will be getting a engineer round in a couple of weeks, i was told on the phone the hub will need to be connected to the master socket, the master socket in my house doesnt have a close power socket and i would be unable to connect my main computer to it via ethernet cable.

my aol BB router i have at the moment sits on my computer desk connected via ethernet cable not connected to the master phone socket.

is it possible to connect the infinty to the same non-master socket? and if so, will it effect my connection speed or anything atall?

please respond, thank you!

Distinguished Expert

Re: Do i NEED to connect to the master socket?

infinty should connect to the main socket
the engineer can convert an existing extension socket to a main socket or use a data extention kit to connect to a main socket up to 30 meters away

How is this done, will there be lots of wires trailing threwout my house? or is it all wireless
Distinguished Expert

the conversion is done using the existing wiring
or the data extension kit is a new wire
Expert

The data extension isnt always a new wire. The socket can be fitted in place of an unused phone socket.

Distinguished Guru

The connection from the master socket to the Openreach modem is wired.  The connection from the modem to the Home Hub is also wired.  After that, it's up to you whether you want to go for wireless or Ethernet.

Contributor

i had mine installed today , the very nice man from openreach moved my main incoming bt socket to the other side of the room so i could have the modem and router where i wanted it. He routed the wires outside the house so no mess. If you ask nicely enough im sure they'll do the same for you Smiley Happy

Distinguished Sage

yes I agree ask them when they come and they will help in any way the can

john46 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
Aspiring Expert

Might be worth mentioning that only the modem needs to be near the phone socket, as long as you can run a network cable from the modem to HomeHub/router they can be as far apart as you like.

ypt
Aspiring Expert

Hi

The max length for a cat5 network cable is 100 metres. Don't forget that the home hub still requires a power supply.

My system is the master socket in the dining room with the modem - my own cat 5 cable then goes in conduit around the outside of the house to my office where the hub is positioned.

Michael