Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Beginner

Re: Fair Usage Policy for BT Infinity Option 2

[ Edited ]

The current allowance for Infinity Option 2 is stated as 300 GB per month before FUP is applied.

I have read on this forum and others about “The current allowance for Infinity Option 2 is stated as 300 GB per month before FUP is applied”. I have checked on BT infinity option 2 site and I cannot find this anywhere.

I am on O2 broadband at the moment and was considering transferring to Infinity Option 2, but I need to find out about the 300 Gb limit. Can someone advise if where to look to find this out.

Aspiring Expert

There is no BT Infinity Option 3

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I helped, then consider clicking the star to the left
Contributor

[ Edited ]

IanC wrote:

k2150 wrote:

I have 2 questions regarding BT's Infinity Option 2 unlimited*

1.The current allowance for Infinity Option 2 is stated as 300 GB per month before FUP is applied. Is this 300 GB allowance for downloads only or is it for downloads plus uploads ?

Downloads and uploads both count.

2. BT apply speed restrictions to all P2P traffic, what is BT's policy regarding Newsgroups if downloading or uploading to Newsgroups will my speeds be restricted in any way ?

Newsgroups from where ?

BTs newsfeed (outsourced from Giganews - news.btinternet.com) used to be limited to 3 simultaneous connections of approx 64Kbps each, at all times. I've not checked recently if this is still the case, and I don't currently use any newsfeeds other than the BT/Giganews one.

Newsgroups as in usenet news service providers who charge a monthly subscription for you to use their binary news servers unconnected and independent from any BT newsfeeds. ie: Astraweb, Giganews, NewsDemon, Newshosting, etc,

these news service providers offer unlimited download speeds, multi simultaneous connections, and SSL encryption, I was asking if they are treated in the same way as P2P traffic, eg: you are within your 300 GB download allowance, you decide to download from a Newsgroup during the BT peak period, is your download speed restricted ?

going by the responses in this thread the speeds from newsgroups will be capped the same way P2P speeds are capped

I'm assume you could use a PPTP/IPSec VPN service such as VyprVPN provided to Giganews Diamond subscribers. That would give your an encrypted point to point break out and assuming you didnt leak DNS lookups and using a secure port to the news server you would be pretty well masked from even deep packet inspection.

At least thats what I'm hoping when I get Infinity installed next week .....

Dave
Aspiring Expert

Will still be throttled, I tried it already.
They must have a system in place that throttles ports running ssl with high traffic. Or even all ssl globally during peak.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I helped, then consider clicking the star to the left
Contributor

I'm with Astraweb, great retention, low prices but no VPN services available. I guess that's part of why Giganews is so expensive, they have a VPN service included.

Contributor

I spoke to someone elsewhere who says their giganews connection is not throttled at all!

I am not really that fussed SABNZBD has the scheduling capable so that I can do what I need to do outside of peak anyway.
Contributor

daniel_owen_uk wrote:
I spoke to someone elsewhere who says their giganews connection is not throttled at all!

I am not really that fussed SABNZBD has the scheduling capable so that I can do what I need to do outside of peak anyway.

Doesn't matter even if you download at offpeak hrs... the FUP will kick in after you have reached your monthly limit..

Contributor

true, as I understand it the 300 GB allowance per month isn't time based, there's no peak or off-peak where the 300 GB is concerened, once you hit 300 GB your download speeds are capped down to 1 Mbit for the next 30 days during peak periods. if you use Usenet it's pretty easy to hit 300 GB in a month.

Contributor

Throttling and Capping are of course two seperate issues.

And I understand the 300GB limit