Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Guru
0 Ratings

Re: Great speed but BIG problem with Devolo Powerline adapters

That's just one more thing, which i noticed over time with the adaptors, as good as they are the only issue i had with them was heat, which in affect varied the connection and download speeds at times.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
Beginner
0 Ratings

Over the weekend I did some more problem-solving and it does appear that the issue is the mains wiring and particularly when using the adapters to link the top and middle floors. I've since linked my important PC to the router with a long Ethernet cable (which I was trying to avoid) and this gives me a wonderful 75Mb download speed.

My advice to anyone else considering using Powerline adapters with faster broadband (e.g. as is now possible with BT Infinity) is that you could well be disappointed at the speeds you get - it appears to be highly dependent upon your mains circuits. I've not been able to find any info about what can be done to a mains supply to limit the problems.

I've also been very diappointed at the technical support offered by e.g. Devolo who were only interested in defending their products (& this was having to use an international support phone number). I would advise them that they ought to start helping customers to solve the problemns as, with increasing broadband speeds, the flaws in their products are going to be increasingly noticed.

Aspiring Expert
0 Ratings

I agree to a certain extent balham, however the very nature of the product they supply is not in any way user servicable. Can you imagine the amount of people being electricuted by fiddling with thier mains wiring on advice of a IT company. They don't want lawsuits!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You can contact the forum mods here
Beginner
0 Ratings

Indeed so, but some core advice would be very helpful e.g. can anything be done about it - if so what? ... and what steer can be given to a qualified electrician. At least then I would know whether to attempt to invest in trying to get a solution. SUch information would also be extremely useful to potential purchases as there will be a lot of people who will buy these products and, like myself, be disappointed.

Aspiring Expert
0 Ratings

There are things that can be done, as I previously stated in this very thread. It's the biggest single thing you can do, besides ripping out all of your wiring and consumer unit and replacing it all. Smiley Surprised
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You can contact the forum mods here
Beginner
0 Ratings

Thanks - I'll pass that on to the electrician.
Aspiring Contributor
0 Ratings

I have exactly the same issue and I know it's not my main wiring. Develo's network dashboard is showing 100Mb+ between Powerline adaptors. When I speedtest through Wireless I get 77/16 when I connect directly to the Home Hub 3.0 I also get 77/16. When connected using Devolo#s 200Mb devices it nearly halves the download speed.

I reckon its QOS in the powerline adaptors doing it. I will call Devolo on Monday and raise a ticket.