Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Contributor

Re: Home Hub 2 Fibre does not always allocate DHCP address

I've got them same problem. After looking lots if forums I've ended up hard iping all devices.

This fine until a friend visits!!!

Would like a more permanent fix Smiley Sad

It strange half my devices work fine, the rest need to be hardcoded!

My mother has the same problem with here homehub v2.0.  I set a static IP for her main PC to get it to work but everytime I visit I'm unable to get an IP address on my phone, my tablet, my PC, my wife's PC.  Last time I called the help line and had to go through the motions with the idiots on the helpline.  Eventually they made me do a full reset of the Homehub and it worked.  Now I've visited again and its the same problem again. BT seem unable to fix the problem.  Looking at the posts above this seems to be a fairly common problem.  WHY IS MY MOTHER PAYING BT ALL THIS MONEY FOR A SUBSTANDARD SERVICE??  I personnally am on TalkTalk with a netgear router and it works fine.

Contributor

Glad it is not just me that has this problem... I am going to wireshark it next time it happens to see if I can see what is going on.

Having exactly the same issue... Captured the problem in my log files:

Mar  5 12:50:25 monolith NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (eth1/wireless) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure) successful.  Connected to wireless network 'WonkySpanner'.
Mar  5 12:50:25 monolith NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (eth1) Stage 3 of 5 (IP Configure Start) scheduled.
Mar  5 12:50:25 monolith NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (eth1) Stage 3 of 5 (IP Configure Start) started...
Mar  5 12:50:25 monolith NetworkManager: <info>  (eth1): device state change: 5 -> 7 (reason 0)
Mar  5 12:50:25 monolith NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (eth1) Beginning DHCP transaction (timeout in 45 seconds)
Mar  5 12:50:25 monolith NetworkManager: <info>  dhclient started with pid 5359
Mar  5 12:50:25 monolith NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (eth1) Stage 4 of 5 (IP6 Configure Get) scheduled...
Mar  5 12:50:25 monolith NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (eth1) Stage 3 of 5 (IP Configure Start) complete.
Mar  5 12:50:25 monolith NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (eth1) Stage 4 of 5 (IP6 Configure Get) started...
Mar  5 12:50:25 monolith NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (eth1) Stage 4 of 5 (IP6 Configure Get) complete.
Mar  5 12:50:25 monolith NetworkManager: <info>  DHCP: device eth1 state changed normal exit -> preinit
Mar  5 12:51:11 monolith NetworkManager: <info>  (eth1): DHCP transaction took too long, stopping it.
Mar  5 12:51:11 monolith NetworkManager: <info>  (eth1): canceled DHCP transaction, dhcp client pid 5359
Mar  5 12:51:11 monolith NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (eth1) Stage 4 of 5 (IP4 Configure Timeout) scheduled...
Mar  5 12:51:11 monolith NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (eth1) Stage 4 of 5 (IP4 Configure Timeout) started...
Mar  5 12:51:11 monolith NetworkManager: <info>  (eth1): device state change: 7 -> 9 (reason 5)
Mar  5 12:51:11 monolith NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (eth1) failed for access point (WonkySpanner)
Mar  5 12:51:11 monolith NetworkManager: <info>  Marking connection 'WonkySpanner' invalid.
Mar  5 12:51:11 monolith NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (eth1) failed.
Mar  5 12:51:11 monolith NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (eth1) Stage 4 of 5 (IP4 Configure Timeout) complete.
Mar  5 12:51:11 monolith NetworkManager: <info>  (eth1): device state change: 9 -> 3 (reason 0)
Mar  5 12:51:11 monolith NetworkManager: <info>  (eth1): deactivating device (reason: 0).
As you can see the DHCP transaction is timing out.
I will keep at them for some kind of resolution and let you know what they say... But as it seems they've used a load of GPL'd code in the homehub I'll try and get hold of it and see if I can track down the issue as well...
Spindles

I just had the same issue and have spent an hour on the phone with tech support wondering how to sort it out. Just to confirm, I am a very happy Infinity Option 2 customer who experienced this problem recently simply because a few new devices were introduced into my life (iPad etc...).

My Saga...

I rang up BT and got first line tech support. I made the mistake of going in too technical and as soon as I mentioned that the laptop I was working on was reporting 'Unidentified Connection' they pounced and diverted my call to some obscurely named premium(!) tech support line. I did, however, have to put up with half an hour of remote desktop 'flailing' before this occured. I asked to be transferred to Second Line support in the hope of being passed to someone (in England) who was able to actually look at my Homehub settings pages without just suggesting I reset to factory settings. Highlight of that finely trained tech support call.... Actually Googled a possible answer using remote desktop on my own machine in front of me! I asked that maybe they would like to look at my connections list on the hub and perhaps the section on DHCP and lease lengths to be ignored completely.

Once I was booted to premium line I was, once again, falled foul of the old 'Unidentified Network' problem, asked if I wouldn't mind being charged £30 for the pleasure and told that they wouldn't put me onto second line support. Finally I told them to send me back to first line and to not charge me a penny. Back to unhelpful worker number 3 and after ten mins of me explaining the issue backed up by this forum thread (I was giving him the URL over the phone and he was just saying yep yep yep clearly ignoring every word, just like most people do when given a reference number at the end of a call)... oh and I mentioned I had a first class degree in Computer Science (relatively useless until now!) when he finally relented and suggested he send me a new hub.

So here I am an hour later and I actually worked the problem out for myself.. kinda nice knowing i'm getting a new V3 hub in the next few days. With any luck I can benefit from further wireless range and smaller form factor etc.. (yeah right... see if it arrives).

Ok solution.... I had a look at the home network screen within the hub admin and noticed a huge amount of connections whereby it appeared an IP had been assigned and then the device disconnected and left the lease open for the ten day period on the hub. Well there aren't that many IPs to use up if each device is getting one per connection. I have maybe 7 or 8 separate devices which were all I assume getting new IPs regularly. I did a few things.... shortened the lease time from 10 to 5 days, extended the DHCP pool from 150 odd to something closer to 230 and took the advice of another posrter on this thread who suggested we get the devices to always use the same IP. One would assume that they would recognise the same device connecting by way of the MAC address asking for access but then perhaps I'm giving the hub too much credit.

Either way problem appears sorted so only an hour on the phone spent and an obscure brain storming session with an (unwilling) set of people in a different country.

Once again hats off to BT for the Infinity service... very pleased indeed. Pity the support were more BT and less TalkTalk... I pay enough for the service, would have been nice to speak to someone with an ounce of technical knowledge.

Enjoy, hope this helps someone somewhere

thanks

Sean

Expert

[ Edited ]

I do not use a HH/HH3 [I use my own router],but find that the best way is to leave DHCP on and set the min and max ip`s to the number of divices that i use [in my case 3 PC`s]
Example:Your actual IP`s might be different:
192.168.x.2 [PC1]
192.168.x.3 [PC2]
192.168.x.4 [PC3]
So DHCP pool is 2min/4max.
And if it is possible you can then set each device to it`s actual local IP in the network settings of each device.Easy with just PC`s,not sure about other devices though.
Or turn DHCP off and set the IP`s manually in the HH or router and in the devices.

If the local IP is set in the network settings of each device then there is also no lease time used,so renewing takes place.

My OR modem and my router have never reset themselves and my local IP`s are always the same.

I have been experiencing the same problem.

In order to fix this I end up logging on to the HomeHub Advanced Settings page and then browsing to:-

Home Network->Devices.

I then start deleting all the devices starting at the bottom. This seems to free up the DHCP server to start allocating new addresses. Whats interesting is that if I click on the DHCP table link when DHCP addresses are not being allocated then the home hub crashes and reboots.

HTH

Glad to see that I'm not the only one pulling what hair I have left out.

My solution is to stop the DHCP service and install a windows freebie. This one works quite well, http://www.dhcpserver.de/dhcpsrv.htm

It seems a shame that we are all paying for a premium service and being given inferiour products to access it with. This is my first ever ISP provided router, a home hub and I've got to say I'm really underenthused!

Terrible GUI with a really bad layout why can't BT copy the major router suppliers rather than try to do their own thing?

Beginner

This phenomenon is referred to as “DHCP Starvation” and is
on the increase because of mobile gadgets like iPhone etc.

The best mitigation is to “use same IP” (DHCP Reservation)
and to drop the lease time to say 1 hour.