Beginner
northeastcorner

Home Hub 3 problems

Had infinity since June 2010, recently moved home (from one infinity exchange to another infinity exchange) and as part of the move the infinity install was done at my new property and bt provided a new Home Hub3.

Connecting via a ethernet cable works fine.  But trying to connect wirelessly is another issue.  Three mobile phones (2xAndroid and 1x Blackberry all b/g/n) work fine.  My HP laptop (4 years old HP drivers nx7410 b/g) connects but the signal drops out repeatedly and is v'slow, the other laptop which is newer (Samsung n710 intel wireless driver and utility b/g/n) won't connect at all, either via WSP or by manually setting up the connection with the PSK.

I swapped the homehub3 for my old infinity homehub2 and everything connects in an instant.  Is there something I should do for the Home Hub 3, I've tried enabling and disabling WSP but no joy.

Any clues?

Expert
jjgraphics

Re: Home Hub 3 problems

[ Edited ]

Suggest you carry on using your HH2 for now and request a replacement HH3 from BT.

Several of my neighbours have now got Infinity and one of them is on her third HH3 (which is OK). I have heard of other similar connectivity problems with HH3s, so yours may just be a bad one.

Aspiring Expert
Scottyboy99

Home Hub 3 is dire. I got this and went through 2 before giving up and getting myself a Netgear router. My old Home Hub 2 type A worked fine under adsl for wireless. Home Hub 3 gave me problems with wireless range and drop outs plus occasional slow internet reactions even when right next to it. Also the media server under my networks on vista kept showing up and dissapearing several times before finally settling. It meant I couldn't always see my other laptop on the network. Weird. Got a replacement hub 3.0 which was if anything worse. Although wireless more stable. I heard maybe mobile phones interfere with them. Believe I tried every wireless channel going.

Then I got a Netgear N600 and everything much improved. The wireless throughput is slightly down from but far more stable (Home Hub 3.0 when it worked gave 20 m/bit d'load speed, netgear gives me about 15 to 20 m/bit but more often nearer the 15 mark) Hard wired I get about 27 m/bits on infinity (am some way from cabinet unfortunately).

I know use the 2nd Hub as a wireless access point (connecting to a home plug) upstairs to cover black spots in the far bedrooms. In this mode it seems to work better.

So long story short I think the Hub 3.0 despite it's potential is a step backwards with glitches needed to be ironed out. Shame as it looks the part but looks aren't everything I guess!

Beginner
northeastcorner

Seem to have fixed this for now, reset the hub and turned off the smart wireless and everything worked ok. Wil keep an eye on it for the time being and always got the fall back of the infinity home hub 2 to fall back on.

Thanks for your replies.
aedney

we had a new bt hub3 delivered last week plugged it in and the problems started. first we could not connect all wifi items then after many times trying we succeeded. 2x xbox 3x smartphones 5x laptops 1x printer 3x ipods 1x kindle 1x camera we kept loosing random items. so i contacted bt who logged into my pc and changed my settings after two attempts and 2 hours later nothing works except laptop even our landline stopped three times. i have now been told by bt to contact all the manufacturers of my wifi products to check their settings (i dont think so) i said NO i will plug my my bt hub1 back in and all items will work fine WHICH THEY HAVE they said they would ring me in a week???????????? BT please give those who pay your wages some credit we are not stupid. in short the hub3 does not work with the settings your tech team put in and because it changes bandwidth it keeps loosing connection  if multiple items are being used.

Distinguished Guru
DS

Hi aedney and welcome

You could try setting up a manual wireless connection with the device set to a static IP address, then see if the hub3 drops them...

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
aedney

hi guru we did try this on monday and it did work however my broadband speed slumped drastically so today i went out and bought a netgear n750 wow what a difference this dual band gigabit router has made i would say my broadband speed is 5 times faster than it was and i dont loose connection. shame because the bt hub 3 is well designed on the outside.
Distinguished Guru
DS

It could've been wireless interference, though you've made the right choice by swapping it out. The hub3 doesn't look too bad on the inside either:smileywink:

I did have a 'ooh, look at the inside and look what you can do with a hub 3' post, but it was removed:smileysad:

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
Jay9K

Hi All

I joined BTI about 6 weeks ago and have been having problems with iPad and iPhone speed since the change. I have a whole host of computers in the house so I knew it was something specific to iDevices. After much digging it looks like the issue maybe to do with QoS (Quality of Service) it's a protocol that's meant to ensure good service thing is BT HH3 sets it automatically and you don't get the option to switch it off iDevices don't seem to like QoS so I started messing with the HH3 settings.

Before my changes ipad was getting somewhere between 0.58mbps and 1.5mbps instead of the 38mbps seen from my 'doze 7 PC and MacBook Air. So I set the Channel manually by going in to advanced setting then back to wireless, you'll need to check what signals are in your area so you don't choose an over used channel. I used inSSIDer for this. To be honest that didn't make any difference to the iPad's so I started looking at the other settings.

I changed the wireless interface type from 802.11 b/g/n to 802.11 b/g and reset the HH3, that seems to have done the trick as the iDevices are now showing 20+mbps consistently. I haven't got any 'n' devices but honestly 'n' is only any good for transmitting information between your local WLAN computers anyway as the higher bandwidth of 'n' would be wasted on the WAN link which has a max of 40mbps which 'g' already exceeds at 54mbps (OK I know it probably averages out a lot lower in real terms).

So if you're having speed problems you might want to try this, nothing stopping you flipping the setting back if it doesn't work or if it introduces other problems.

Good luck.

Jay9K

infintybbuser

hi.. donot make any changes to the wep or wpa
login to the hub managr page with 192.168.1.254
go to settings and advanced settings and loin to wifi and u have the option to change interface type
change to b/g since the laptop is not connecting coz of that
and both ur mobiles are compatable u will have no change in the connection to them ...