Beginner
Spicey

Home hub 3 A or B type

Does anyone know what the differnce between the A and B type home hub 3 is. I originally had the B type but when I complained about weak signal to laptops in the house they have sent me an A type which is no better. Just wondered what the difference is.

ypt
Aspiring Expert
ypt

Re: Home hub 3 A or B type

[ Edited ]
Hi Spicey Not sure what the differences are, but the version A is the reason why sales of cable routers have shot through the roof! The main problem with it is that the 10/100 Mbs ports get confused as to what they should be giving -hence defaulting to10Mbs - not very good with infinity!! Also in my case, the first A I had, had a gigabit port that reduced to 2Kb upload speed ( not a typo ). Most of us would love to have a version B All the best Michael Sorry the post has lost its formatting
Beginner
Spicey

Thankyou. not sure why they tried to replace my type B with an A. But will keep the B I think. Thanks again.

Expert
gouledw

For Infinity Type B is definitely the one to go for, its manufactured by someone different to the Type A, and in actual fact the OR modem is the same company that manufactures the Home Hub 3 Type B. Hauwei being the company of course. The Type B has all the latest firmware fixes.
MrOsel

If I was you I would stick with the type B home-hub. After churning thought around 6 of the A type hubs they finally sent me a B model and it’s been working like a charm. I use my internet 24/7 for Playstation and my job and the A hub would have so many problems it would eat into around 3-hours of my day because of the amount of resets that needed to happen.

Distinguished Expert
pippincp

Better still, ditch the HH and get your own modem!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cabinet comissioning process.

Get your IP Profile by running this speedtest (then Further Diagnostics) .

[url=http://valid.canardpc.com/2640296][img]htt//valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/2640296.png[/img][/url]

Get your IP Profile by running this speedtest (then Further Diagnostics) speedtest.

[url=http://valid.canardpc.com/2640296][img]http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/2640296.png[/img][/url]
Beginner
Spicey

You have all been really helpful. I am def keeping the Type B. I am looking into getting the socket moved to a central position in the house which stop the weakening of signal to some rooms. Thankyou for your advice.

ypt
Aspiring Expert
ypt

Hi Spicey,

Our house about 30 years old, has solid internal walls - and we've never had a good wireless signal, even with HH1 - the old white one. I've installed my own ethernet network around the house - rather than having the master socket moving (possibly an expensive job), could you run some ethernet cable to a convienient position, and then connect your HH3A as a wireless extender?

The "slave" hub just needs to be given a different IP address, has the auto IP address allocation switched off and some also suggest turning off the firewall (only on the slave!!!). I used my old HH2 hub in this way (to enable daughter to connect her ipod upstairs via wireless) , although I didn't switch off the firewall and it seemed to work OK.

Michael

Beginner
Spicey

Hi Michael

Ours ia a 1928 bungalow with solid internal walls. Bt would charge £130 to move the socket to hallway. Its not that bigger job as being a bungalow the wires run in the attic. So we are considering moving it ourselves. Will keep in mind your ethernet idea.

All the best

Jill

xenontek

Hi there I have just had an experience with both types as I originally had a Type A and my friend recieved a Type B. The type A had wireless N issues and I could not stay connected to wireless N for more than 5 minutes without a router reset and I found this was not happening on the Type B my friend recieved so I called up BT and after a few phone calls I managed to get them to send me a Type B and now the wireless is fine and it also has later firmware. Signal strength also appears to be better.

If I were you, I'd go for Type B.

Regards,

Trev