Beginner
stevehil
Accepted Solution

Homehub 3 cannot get to Internet via Wireless

Just got BT Infinity today and everyting is great so long as I am attached via an ethernet cable.

Connecting my laptop via Wireless is frustrating. To try and diagnose this problem I have switched encryption off.The hub is set to all its defaults for IP Address ranges etc.

On the laptop I am using Windows XP SP3 and am letting Windows do the Wireless configuration.

The best I get is that it claims to be connected. IPCONFIG shows it has a valid IP address, correct subnet mask,correct DNS, and Default gateway. I check this with my other PC which is hard-wired to the router - and yes - it appears in the device list within the hub manager. So everything looks OK. EXCEPT, when I actually try to open a web page - bbc.co.uk for example in either Firefox or IE, it just sits there saying 'connecting to www.bbc.co...' or sometimes 'waiting for www.bbc.co.....'. I have also disabled the softwrae firewalls I had installed and anti-virus. So, I'm beginning to think I've got a dodgy router.

Has anyone seen this problem before? ie everything looks OK and connected, but you can't actually browse the web.

Steve

PC
Expert
PC

Re: Homehub 3 cannot get to Internet via Wireless

[ Edited ]

I had connectivity problems with my XP sp3... The BT Desk software would come up with not connected then I had to go thru identifying the picture of the router I was using etc... eventually it would connect.

I removed the software and it's fine now.

The PC internal wireless card wouldn't work... PC world gave money back no probs.

The reason I knew it was the card that I had just bought was the 4 other Laptops/netbook/tablet connected all ok.

So for convenience I Installed the D-Link Dwa140 onto a spare USB port on the PC, and it was up and running in minutes.

As I say I was lucky knowing my router was ok by the fact the other machines worked.

Is there a chance you could ask your mates to come over with Netbook/laptop and try to connect to your wireless signal?

It'll help get evidence if you have to request a replacement HH3.

Edit I have posted in this thread http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/My-wife-s-netbook-is-connected-to-infinity-but-wont-load-any/...

I mention it in case you want to have a look.... but I expect you've tried everything.... Even I notice down to removing encryption.

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

Beginner
stevehil

Re: Homehub 3 cannot get to Internet via Wireless

Thanks for the reply.

Looking more and more like a dodgy router. None of the following devices can browse the internet successfully via wireless - though they all CLAIM to be connected and appear in the BTManager device list:

My IBM Thinkpad - using it's internal WiFi adapter

My IBM Thinkpad using a Netgear WNDA3100 USB WiFi adapter

Another XP SP3 Desktop PC with a Netgear WND3100 PCI WiFI Adapter

A Lexmark S800 wireless printer

The ThinkPad and the ther Desktop PC work OK when connected via Ethernet cable. So, I'm a bit stumped. All these devices worked perfectly before the BTInfinity upgrade - but that was becasue I had a Netgear RangeMax DGND3300 ADSL Modem Router holding it all together.

Right now I have a supposedly solid connection using the WNDA3100 USB adapter. Signal strength is a high as you can get (I'm sitting just 4 feet away from the router - so not surprising). Connected at 144Mbps. Got a an IP Address - 192.168.1.67. Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 , dhcp/dns is 192.168.1.254 - matching the settings on the hub. The device appears in the HomeHub Manage page as connected. And yet, when I launch Firefox (set to using no proxy) iget the 'connecting to' or 'waiting for' messages.

Think I need to call support and get a new router

Steve

Beginner
stevehil

Re: Homehub 3 cannot get to Internet via Wireless - SOLVED

SOLVED - Kind of.

A friend had a Negear WNR2200 that he lent me to test things out. So, I swapped the BT HomeHub out, replaced with the Netgear. And guess what? It all works. Connected instantly with no issues over wireless pretty much straight out of the box.

So, I got through to the customer support help desk (eventually - as you have a large number of voice recordings to go through first). Explained it all to the tech support guy, he checked everything he could from his end and eventually agreed that the Hub looks suspect,  and he has ordered me a new HomeHub - should get it Monday.

Let's see if that works. (or maybe I'll just go out and buy a Netgear router.......)

Steve

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

I expect the new one will be the same :smileywink:

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

PC
Expert
PC

Hi Steve

Glad you were able to track it down to the HH3. :smileyhappy:

I hope you don't have the same problem with your replacement..... My HH3 is really good honestly.

My Type A HH3 takes a few attempts of connecting at the correct wireless n speed.... but my HH3 type B is perfect.

The Type A pushes out a stronger wireless signal though, but only just.

However just in case this thread might help http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/List-of-Routers-to-replace-Home-Hub-3/td-p/298203

Good luck and please let us know how you get on.

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

Beginner
stevehil

For those that are interested...

The replacement HomeHub, which arrived on time , worked perfectly, no issues at all. Really good signal too all the way from the ground floor up to my loft conversion.

So, sent the old one back.

It's a type A as well..so maybe this whole Type A/ Type B thing I keep reading about is not all it seems.....

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

There must be a problem with poor quality control on the home hub 3s.

At least you seem to have found a good one :smileyhappy:

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.