Beginner
Samuel81

How can I tell if my phone line is connected to a cabinet or directly to the exchange

[ Edited ]
Hi, I have been trying to find out if my phone line is connected to the street cabinet or directly to the exchange as the checker says I am unable to get bt infinity. The house 2 doors away seems to be able to get it and having looked at the spreadsheet (google fusion table) it says that 42% of line on my postcode are enabled. Is there a way of finding if I am in that 42%. My postcode: tn104pb Hope someone can help Thanks
Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Re: How can I tell if my phone line is connected to a cabinet or directly to the exchange

Please remove your phone number, as this is a public forum.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Guru
Webby

Re: How can I tell if my phone line is connected to a cabinet or directly to the exchange

Contacting the mods on here is the only way to find out.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Look here http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=29017

and put your phone number in.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Guru
Webby

That won't tell him if he's on an exchange line only?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Webby wrote:
That won't tell him if he's on an exchange line only?

I would be surprised if there are that many direct DPs to domestic customers , unless they live in a city centre.

Usually they are only run to businesses, in my past experience.

Expert
DeanM

I vaguely remember being informed that something like 4% of telephone lines in the UK are EO - I'm afraid I don't have any references with which to back that up though :smileysad:

Anyway, to the OP - Samuel, if you want to contact us via the webform link in my profile (under "about me") we can check your line to see what's going on.

Dean
BTCare Community Mod

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Sage
Keith_Beddoe

DeanM wrote:

I vaguely remember being informed that something like 4% of telephone lines in the UK are EO - I'm afraid I don't have any references with which to back that up though :smileysad:

Having worked in that part of the network for many years, I don`t think I remember any personal customers on EO cables.

Office blocks, or old established businesses in city centres, were the only ones. That would account for the 4%.

The lack of flexibility was the main issue with EO cables, with the volume of "churn" of domestic customers, it would not have been practical.

Amy123

I have done FTTC check to see which cabinet I am connected to, and it turned out that my line is connected directly to the exchange! so frustrating....