nicky2tu
Accepted Solution

How does BT Infinity Equipment Work

I've spent a great deal of time this week end trying to work out how BT infinity is cabled up. The information on the BT site is next to usless and there is nothing on the web. Is it so hard to produce a diagram BT or are you frightened if you do you will scare people off?

My understanding is that a new modem is required and this HAS to be located by the master phone socket; is this correct?

This modem requires a single only power socket; is this correct? I'm assuming the "other" power socket is for the home hub; is this correct?

The modem is connected to the Home Hub via a cat5e or similar ethernet cable; is this correct?

The cable uses one of the four ethernet ports on the home hub; is this correct?

Will I be able to use my old analog phone in the hallway post intallation i.e., will I still have access to the old (or new) telephone jack regardless of where the hub is located?

Can the ethernet  connection between home hub and modem go via an ethernet switch or does it need to be direct only?

Will I lose use of all my internal telephone sockets post installation (one sales person I spoke to informed me this was so)? Seems strange if this is so.

Can the master socket be renominated to an other socket in a more convient location (like my office)?

Thanks for you help

Nicola

Sage
john46

Re: How does BT Infinity Equipment Work

My understanding is that a new modem is required and this HAS to be located by the master phone socket; is this correct?  YES

This modem requires a single only power socket; is this correct? I'm assuming the "other" power socket is for the home hub; is this correct? YES

The modem is connected to the Home Hub via a cat5e or similar ethernet cable; is this correct?

The cable uses one of the four ethernet ports on the home hub; is this correct? YES

Will I be able to use my old analog phone in the hallway post intallation i.e., will I still have access to the old (or new) telephone jack regardless of where the hub is located? YES

Can the ethernet  connection between home hub and modem go via an ethernet switch or does it need to be direct only?  DIRECT

Will I lose use of all my internal telephone sockets post installation (one sales person I spoke to informed me this was so)? Seems strange if this is so.  NO

Can the master socket be renominated to an other socket in a more convient location (like my office)? I HAVE SEEN IT DONE  REMEMBER  INFINITY IS ENGINEER FITTED SO YOU CAN ALWAYS ASK HIM/HER

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Aspiring Contributor
Kenny48

Your existing BT hub, be it white or black is no use. You are sent a new infinity hub. The equipment does not need to be installed next to your master socket, It can be fitted up to 30m away but does need a cat 5 cable to be surface wired to the required position. All your existing phone extensions are left working as before. The master socket is meant to be left where it is. You will require 2 mains power outlets, 1 for the new hub and 1 for the new Openreach modem. 

Contributor
thesimo

all of this information is available on the BT site, you just didn't look hard enough.
Contributor
thesimo

nicky2tu

No it isn't. I saw the references to which you point and they do not contain the information I required.

Yes it talks about a data cable but what is that? I work as an IT consultant and this level of detail is important. In fact BT is a customer of the company I work for and we provide them with very detailed specifications for any installations we do for them.

I do not want to run cables up my skirting boards and around my doors thank you very much. If I know in advance what cables are required I will install them to the necessary standard. I have installed a lot of cat5e and cat6 cables in my house already. It is bad enough I have to run power to the master socket but I need to know exactly what is required so I can plan in advance.

Comments like yours don't help anyone. I sure there is a lot of people wondering how it works as the BT web site is very very vague I believe because they do not want to scare people off from ordering by the thought of a lot of unsightly cabling and clumsy chunky equipment.

Thankfully there are more helpful people on this forum than you.

nicky2tu

How is the cat5e cable presented? I guess it is fitted with a standard RJ45 connector at the hub end and is it wired in to the modem? Also do you know the dimensions of the modem? I guess also it has a transformer so is that attached to the power cable or is it built into the plug itself?

nicky2tu

Thanks John. I feel a little more reassured after reading your comments.
Expert
Rottie

nicky2tu wrote:

How is the cat5e cable presented? I guess it is fitted with a standard RJ45 connector at the hub end and is it wired in to the modem? Also do you know the dimensions of the modem? I guess also it has a transformer so is that attached to the power cable or is it built into the plug itself?

Hi there,

The ethernet lead that connects between the HH and the OpenReach modem, is approx 2M in length and has red colour-coded ends (I am not sure if this means it's a "cross over" or "straight" cable).

The dimensions of the OpenReach modem are approximately WxDxH 6x4x1 (Am looking at mine, but have no tape measure/ruler to hand).

Yes it's a transformer type PSU that powers the modem.

Hope this info helps. :smileyvery-happy:

Contributor
spelbound

MASTER        <----modem--- (cat5 rj45) --->      HUB     <--- (cat5 rj45 or wireless) --- computer 1 

SOCKET          power needed                           power          (cat5 rj45 or wireless) --- computer 2

needed         (cat5 rj45 or wireless) --- computer 3

Hope that makes sense, but this is my understanding in simplistic terms.