Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Infinity 2 Speeds Appalling

I'm at a loss here. Speeds are dipping well below what I was getting on a copper wire connection. Just speed tested now @speedtest.net 6meg/s down, 10 meg/s up. I'm wired to the hub, I've powercycled the hub and the modem numerous times, switched out every possible cable, tried different computers, reset all internet settings on my computer. I'm kinda stuck as to what to do now. 

Worse at peak times as expected but still not climbing above 14meg/s at 4am for example.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

N.B. I ask here and not BT's phoneline as I either have to wait an age or I get put in a queue that hangs up on me.

Contributor

Re: Infinity 2 Speeds Appalling

Whereabouts are you?  We've had this problem in my village in East Leeds for around 4 weeks, I tried to log a call last night with BT but had issues as I am not using a home hub.  Something is definatly amiss.

Contributor

Turning the modem on and off makes the DLM think your line is unstable and it drops the speed. its okay to turn the hub off but not the modem you will have to leave it for a few weeks without turing it off to see any improvment in speed.

Expert

milolethbridge wrote:

I'm at a loss here. Speeds are dipping well below what I was getting on a copper wire connection. Just speed tested now @speedtest.net 6meg/s down, 10 meg/s up. I'm wired to the hub, I've powercycled the hub and the modem numerous times, switched out every possible cable, tried different computers, reset all internet settings on my computer. I'm kinda stuck as to what to do now. 

Worse at peak times as expected but still not climbing above 14meg/s at 4am for example.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

N.B. I ask here and not BT's phoneline as I either have to wait an age or I get put in a queue that hangs up on me.

Hi Miloethbridge

Could you run the BT Speedtester http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ and copy and paste the results you get, this will give us a clue on what Speeds you should be getting.

Cheers

Expert

Have you done the speedtests wireless or wired?

I just had infinity installed today. I was initially disappointed because the engineer told me I was connected at full speed but speed tests on speedtest.net were only showing between 20 and 30meg.

I did some experimenting and noticed speeds were different depending how I was connecting.

On wifi i'm only getting a maximum of 30meg although with one wifi channel i'm only getting 3megs

With my powerline adaptor i'm getting about 50meg but when connecting straight to the router via ethernet I get 72meg.

There is a massive difference in speeds between wired and wireless.

So if you are doing speedtests through wifi or powerline adaptors you might not be getting the true speed.

Contributor

Malacath you poor WiFi speeds could be down to your WiFi card. I use the WiFi on my PC and the best I had was 70meg and its usually around 60-65meg. you have to make sure you card can handle the speeds of infinity.
Expert

[ Edited ]

Bluemoon_19 wrote:
Malacath you poor WiFi speeds could be down to your WiFi card. I use the WiFi on my PC and the best I had was 70meg and its usually around 60-65meg. you have to make sure you card can handle the speeds of infinity.

My card can handle higher speeds. 

In my friends house I get over 60 meg speeds via wifi on my laptop which is what persuaded me to get infinity in the first place.

He seems to live in an area where none of his neighbours have wifi as his is the only wifi signal I can pick up there.

My house seems to be congested with wifi signals. I can pick up 12 wifi signals right now. 

I've had wifi problems for years in my house which is why I got powerline adaptors for my games consoles as wireless was getting unreliable. I just need to get faster powerline adaptors now because the ones i've got are not fast enough for infinity.

EDIT: I just managed to get my wifi speeds up to 56meg by changing the wifi channel again. But to be honest I cant see it lasting as the same wifi channel i'm using now was only giving me speeds of 3meg yesterday.