Aspiring Contributor
highwaycrossingfrog
Accepted Solution

Infinity Broadband not working since installation - engineer call-out?

I had BT Infinity installed on 13th June. Since installation the broadband light on the hub has been flashing orange continuously and I am unable to get out onto the internet. All other lights on the hub and the modem are lit correctly and steadily. I am able to connect my laptop to the hub both wirelessly and via cable. I have cycled the power many times and the light continues to flash orange. I suspect a faulty installation, or faulty hardware, and would like to get an engineer out to check the equipment, but am unable to find out how to contact BT to arrange this. The call centre staff in India are polite but completely unable to help. Can anyone give me a number to call to speak to BT directly about this?

Guru
Webby

Re: Infinity Broadband not working since installation - engineer call-out?

Looks like you need an engineer. An authentication issue is the problem. Most likely the circuit isn't built correctly on the port. I had the same problem when I migrated from 40/10 to 80/20.

Call 0800 111 4567.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Aspiring Contributor
highwaycrossingfrog

Thanks Webby, I completely agree it's probably the wiring that had not been installed correctly.

I have tried calling 0800 111 4567. That gets me through to the technical helpdesk in India. The first time I called, I was told that there were service problems in my area (not according to the BT service status webpage/telephone number though!) and was promised a callback to check if the problem was resolved which never happened. The second time I was passed around and around various people and eventually cut off. I need a number in the UK which is able to book an engineer for me, if I call 0800 111 4567 again I am sure that the best I will get is someone trying to talk me through all the standard troubleshooting I have already done.

Guru
Webby

Tell them you need an engineer.

Do you have a solid green light on the DSL LED on the Openreach modem? If so there isn't a wiring problem and you're in sync with the cabinet.

If that is the case then it's definitely an authentication issue. It's happened a few times on new provides and I think every one that I've seen has turned out to be the circuit not built on the port.

The only way to have it fixed though is for an engineer to come out and he'll call Openreach and have them rebuild it.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Aspiring Contributor
highwaycrossingfrog

I do have a solid green DSL light on the modem. Thanks for your help identifying the problem. I will try requesting an engineer through the helpdesk, though I can't help thinking there should be an easier way!
Beginner
TheHoggleDog

I have the same issue (but a constant orange light). An engineer was booked to come today, but incredibly, simply didn't turn up. I've been told that this is due to lack of resource. I'm speechless. Another engineer has now been booked for 21st June 12 leaving me with no connectivity for what will be almost two weeks.

I'm appalled to be honest, I've never known such shoddy end customer performance.
Aspiring Contributor
highwaycrossingfrog

I couldn't agree more! The engineer that apparently botched the installation was the second to come out, the first turned up but was somehow unable to find the correct flat, so I had to wait over 2 weeks for another appointment. BT need to find some engineers to outsource to that aren't complete morons. I'm now being passed around helpdesks for the third time, trying to simply book an engineer.

Expert
astar27

contact the mods here http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951 although it may take 3 days for them to get back to you. i have however notifed them of this thread for immediate attention, probably tomorrow now, get a case sent in now though, and take reference of a case number but don't post it on the forum
Aspiring Contributor
highwaycrossingfrog

Thanks @astar27. I have already contacted BT via email yesterday, though not the forum mods just regular broadband fault report. No reply yet. Just spent half an hour on the phone to the helpdesk with the result that my issue has been 'escalated' to a higher department who will phone me tomorrow afternoon. Fingers crossed they will send me out an engineer and new modem. Thanks for notifying the mods about this.
Aspiring Expert
iSean

I had this exact issue. took support 5 days to sort it. was very stressful