Aspiring Contributor
Stupor

Infinity Modem LAN1 Light Continuously Flashing

As in the title. The LAN1 LED on the Infinity modem is permanently flashing. I have noticed this over the last few days. Previously I would notice the LED to flash only whilst there was internet activity going on.

You could say does it matter?

Well all my homeplug ethernet lights are continously flashing as are all of my ethernet switch LEDs - on all connected ports.

I have an network HDD and this has its network LED continuously flashing as well.

This normally indicates data activity on the relevant piece of kit.

I have disconnected all my equipment and unplugged my phone connections and the flashing continues.

i.e. phone line - modem - Hub only and the flashing continues. Disconnect phone line it stops. Disconnect modem from Hub (red cable) it stops.

It seems as if there is a spurious broadcast message being sent somehow.  Faulty modem? Faulty exchange/cabinet equipment?

Is this normal? Anyone else experiencing this? Am I mad?

I eventually phoned for help yesterday. Why is a call to BT support able to send a reasonable person into a seething frustrated rage?

Anyway I was told a replacement hub would be despatched and in the meantime I needed to consult my "network administrator"

New hub arrived - no change.

Today I foolishly turned to BT support again. This time via online chat. Summary - Is the internet working? Yes. No problem then. But it's affecting my equipment. We do not support customer's equipment. End.

I would appreciate any suggestions as what is happening here.

There was a recent Hub firmware upgrade. Is it that?

TIA

Aspiring Expert
trapdoor

Re: Infinity Modem LAN1 Light Continuously Flashing

Do you subscribe to BT Vision+ Extra channels (sport/Dsicovery/Nat Geo etc?) If you do, then the LAN1 light flashing is perfectly normal. If not, then..... dunno. Perhaps they have activated IP Multicast on your line.

Aspiring Contributor
Stupor

Thanks for the reply. A reasonable suggestion.

But No. I can see them on the EPG but do not subscribe. The only change I have asked for recently is to add BT Sport to my Vision box.

As in my original post, I am OK for BT equipment LEDs  to do whatever they want. I am really concerned as to why all my Homeplug ethernet LEDs and my ethernet switch port LEDs all flash continuously in sympathy with the BT kit. Disconnecting from the Hub stops the flashing lights on my stuff.

This is not normal surely?

Contributor
stanwellback

If you signed up to BT Sport, then you probably have it on multicast and thats the reason the lights are always flashing.  It's nothing to worry about.  Others far more technically minded will be able to explain better than I can.

Aspiring Contributor
Stupor

Thanks for that. Very feasible explanation. It's a pity technical support from India didn't think of that rather than just sending me a new Hub that I now have to return.

I'm still puzzled why multicast should make all my connected ethernet devices in a flap. Wouldn't it just target the vision box ports/connections? Is my home network now slowed by spurious data packets sloshing around?

Expert
ray_dorset

Do you have to return one? You won't notice the IGMP packets.
Aspiring Expert
trapdoor

How your lights flash will depend on how you have your home network setup.

In my case, I am using the HH4 only as a gateway router. It is right next to the Vision box and that is connected to the Eth1 port on the HH4. My unmanaged gigabit switch is connected to the GigE port 4 on the HH4 and has my Airport Extreme/TC (as a WiFi AP) and my PLA network for the TV/Video kit upstairs. My unmanaged switch does not send the IP Multicast traffic across my home network, it appears to be routed directly to the Vision box.

Now, if you have your Vision box connected to a switch and via PLA, then I suppose it's possible that the multicast traffic is 'on' your local LAN en-route to the Vision box, and that is showing up as flashing lights on the other kit.

My personal preference is to keep the Vision box plugged directly into the HH4 as BT cannot then claim it is anything my network is doing WHEN it goes wrong (VMC011 etc...)

Aspiring Contributor
Stupor

Intriguing and very useful information. thanks.

I have my HH3 connected to an adjacent Homeplug (PLA). BT vision box is the other side of the room connected via switch to another PLA. IP delivered BT Sport SD is very acceptable, BT Sport HD, however, is unwatchable. I strung a length of cat5 across the floor just now between HH3 and the switch feeding BT vision and HD was OK - well superb PQ actually.

I think the HH3 PLA carried on flashing but I had to quickly get the cable on the floor out of sight before I incurred the wrath of SWMBO. I think I will need to get the HH3 and vision box connected permanently to enable BT Sport HD anyway.

Do you think a direct connection between HH3 and vision box might stop the multicast stuff whizzing round all my PLAs and switches?

Aspiring Contributor
Stupor

I have no use for 2 HH3 boxes. I believe that they are BT's so I am happy to return their property as requested.

Aspiring Expert
trapdoor

Stupor wrote:

Do you think a direct connection between HH3 and vision box might stop the multicast stuff whizzing round all my PLAs and switches?

It's very likely - I certainly don't get Multicast on my internal network - the HH4 (and HH3 before it) just routed it to Port 1 where the Vision box is connected.

I expect you also get a message when you reboot the Vision box saying to plug the box directly into the HH? I certainly used to when I was connected via PLA - speaking with BT's L2 support (about the VMC011 issues) I mentioned about the warning message and he said that the Vision box looks for the MAC address of the router and anything else 'in the way' will throw the warning up. So it's possible that there is some jiggery going on with the software on the box and router that 'prefers' a direct connection for Multicast.

When the box is in standby or 'idling' then I don't believe there is that much data being received, but then you are on an HD channel then it's probably going to be about 9 or 10Mbps - I'd prefer not to have that on my LAN if I could help it, although the switch SHOULD make sure it doesn't get around the network, but it IS multicast, which means that the switch may just pass it on to all ports regardless (ie multicasting it) ... I know very little about how multicast is supposed to work.