Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
MWB
Aspiring Contributor
Accepted Solution

Infinity Speeds Dropping Below 1Mb

Hi all,

I migrated from PlusNet to BT Broadband 28th November 2011 then to Infinity 19th December 2011 when the service became available. All went smoothly from start to finish and the Infinity speed on the day of installation using speedtester.bt.com was:

Download speed achieved during the test was - 43722 Kbps

IP Profile for your line is - 38716 Kbps

For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 12000-38716 Kbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 8215 Kbps

Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10000 Kbps

Needless to say I was quite pleased to see that the download speed exceeded the IP Profile by 5Mb and the upload was over 8 times faster than any speed achieved on either PlusNet or BT Broadband!

These tests were run on a desktop PC using an ethernet cable to the Home Hub 3 and modem which go directly into the main BT socket.  I have a wireless connection to a laptop that achieves 18+Mb on Speedtest.net and the kids consoles are X-Box 360 via Ethernet and PS3 via wireless. One or two of their other toys connect via wireless ie iPhone and iPod etc and they connect seamlessly as do their games consoles. All concerned are very happy and our new BT cordless phones also now work without crackling!

First signs of trouble came from the games consoles within the 10 day training period, complaints that the connection was slow so a speed check was run again via speedtest.net and I find that the upload is faster than the download but they are both around 1Mb. A soft reset of the HH3 by connecting and reconnecting the internet connection bought the speed back up to 30+Mb and 6+Mb. I was not unduly worried by this as we were within the 10 day training period.

This carried on with the speed dropping and having to soft reset over Christmas and past the 10 day training period, shutting off the modem and HH3 for a period of time then resetting made no significant difference which I was loathed to do so as not to interfere with the training period.

I ran speedtest.bt.com when the connection had slowed again and the results were less than 1Mb but I did not save a copy of the results then ran the second part of the test which required resetting the broadband username in the HH3 and of course this resulted in satisfactory speeds!

I phoned BT India who asked me to rum speedtest.net and miraculously concluded that there was nothing wrong with my connection despite explaining several times the problems I was experiencing. He said he could not access the details of the BT tests I had performed and we would need to speedtest.net again the next day and called me back, unfortunately I was not at home but the speed had not dropped that day and stayed up consistently over the next 8 days so I put it down to the training period and left it at that.

The connection speed drop has resumed after this 8 day Honeymoon period to this:

A reset brings this typical result or similar up to 33Mb:

I have tried switching off the wireless connection leaving the sole desktop connected via ethernet and the speed still drops over a period of time and now I feel I have done all I can which is why I am looking on this forum! I have searched and read previous posts concerning speed issues and other than changing the HH3 or modem I can find no solution. I left them both off for a while yesterday the ran speedtest.bt. com and obtained these results which exceeded my original 43.7Mb so I don’t think it is a line fault!

Download speed achieved during the test was - 47797 Kbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 8210 Kbps

I see one of the suggested cures for similar problems is equipment replacement either by BT or 3rd party and suspicious fingers are being pointed at the HH3 or Openreach modems being to blame and I do not see why I should have to spend money on replacing the BT supplied equipment if it is not up to the job. I have considered a 240v timer to shut the modem and HH3 power supplies down overnight!

Any suggestions? :smileyindifferent:

Regards, Mike

Aspiring Expert

Re: Infinity Speeds Dropping Below 1Mb

Hi

Intermittent speed issues can be a bit tricky to nail down, if you believe your HH3 is at fault instead off talking to the call centres, try the forum team instead and discuss the problems you are seeing with them.

They are a small team based in Ireland and are good at sorting out most customer problems. click here for form it can take up to 3 days before they respond by phone or email.

Keep trying the bt speed tester hopefully you may capture the drop in speed on it.

MWB
Aspiring Contributor

Thanks for replying Nige, I have since captured the speed drop on the BT speedtest and received the following:

Download speed achieved during the test was - 216 Kbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 258 Kbps

Cool huh? :smileyindifferent:

Aspiring Expert

Hi

Your welcome.

I would say that speed is very poor , if you fill the form out in my last post I am sure the forum team will look into this for you and make every effort to resolve the low speeds you are receiving.  

Be sure to post back and let us all know how you get on.

Best off luck 

MWB
Aspiring Contributor

[ Edited ]

Spoke to BT India again today and the third person I spoke to listened me! She ran speedtest.bt.com/beta then we went through speedtest.bt.com and achieved:

Download speed achieved during the test was - 573 Kbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 689 Kbps

I went on to run test3.speedtester.bt.com after rebooting the HH3 and changing the broadband username to speedtest@speedtest_domain and I achieved these results:

Download speed achieved during the test was - 29112 Kbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 7201 Kbps

I like this bit added at the bottom......

Your service was found to be performing poorly.
Please raise a fault with your service provider, stating that the BT Performance Tester tool indicates poor service throughput performance after the second test.

Ahhh......:smileywink:

The young lady at BT India ran her line tests while I waited and has now referred the call to level two support. I await a call tomorrow.

Why do you have to go through the broadband faultline to access the Infinity helpdesk? I was given another number that took me back to the broadband faultline and they transferred me!

Nige, thanks, but I will wait until BT India have done their part before going to the Mods now they have a ball rolling as I want to see where it goes!

Mike

Aspiring Expert

Hi Mike

Nope problem glad to hear you are getting somewhere with the call centre support.

Hopefully they will be able to sort out your speed problems.  

Best off luck.

Don't forget to lets us all know if call centre resolves your issue.

Nigel

MWB
Aspiring Contributor

I had two BT/Openreach Engineers visit yesterday, I don't think their combined age was over 35! :smileylol:

The eldest one checked the line with his Tricorder and could find no fault but did tell me the line was capable of 100Mb. I showed him the results I have been getting and he agreed with me there is a problem and decided to leave me a Modem and HH3 as he felt I knew what I was doing and was quite capable of swapping them over myself. :smileysurprised:

I asked if they were new items and assured yes but the HH3 has been fitted so until I look at the setup and see if it has been altered I can only assume it has been used for testing purposes. (Read as benefit of doubt!)

I checked the line this morning on Speedtest.net and as expected just over 1Mb up & download speeds so I changed the , speed was back up to 30+ down and 6 up so time will tell. As I am off to Scotland for a few days tomorrow I will get The Trousers to check the speeds while I am up there and report back my findings next week.

Mike

Aspiring Contributor

[ Edited ]

MWB
Aspiring Contributor

Changing the modem seems to have worked so far, the speeds have remained constant. I will check over the next few days and report back.

Mike

Aspiring Expert

Hi Mike

Its good to hear that you problems appear to be resolved. Hopefully your connection will remain stable and you will be able to enjoy Infinity like the vast majority of us do.