Contributor
scratch910
Accepted Solution

Is it worth having infinity????

After several months of trouble with my connection, home hub 2 resetting itself, well this service sucking since i had it, is it worth me continuing with my infinity order. After almost a week of good speed and very few resets, the last 2 resets have dropped my speed by almost half to what it was. But im a bit sick of wrestling with that problem and im hoping the new homehub 3 will be more reliable.

A bt engineer is calling on thursday to fix up infinity for me, so as far as my existing internet is concerned, they can stick it where the sun dont shine. I just hope someone with infinity on here can reassure me and put my mind at ease. When i had my old 8mb connection with the homehub 1, my speed was constant and reliable, but as soon as i opted for the new 20mb speed, ive had nothing but hastle with it, an engineer called a few weeks ago and he sorted it to a point. I was getting 14-15mb connections after his visit which i was very happy with, but now its dropped down to 8mb again, and as i only live about 50 yards from exchange and street cabinet, he told me i should get the full monty, but ive never got anywhere near it. Any comments would be very much appreciated.

Aspiring Contributor
Paulos

Re: Is it worth having infinity????

This forum is obviously full of horror stories where one thing or another doesn't work, bad support etc. but those who've had a good experience wouldn't necessarily post a message saying everything is fine.

I've not really been a fan of BT in the past but I signed up for Infinity in the hope I could get something better than my half meg connection. So far I've had nothing but a great experience. Equipment turned up on time, as did the engineer and it was installed with no fuss which I'm sure is the same for the majority of customers. You just need one bad experience and you're likely to be pretty vocal about it.

So in short I'm a happy customer. I can download a GB in minutes, stream TV programmes with no stuttering and upload youtube videoswithout waiting hours. I do feel for those who can't get it or have endless problems though!

Poplar exchange
Contributor
scratch910

Paulos.... Thanks for that, i feel a little better knowing your experience is good. 

I agree that only people with problems post here, and considering how many people use bt internet now, i suppose a very high percentage of people are happy with their service. I just hope this new hub does'nt have all the reset problems my hub 2 had. People was advising me to leave the old hub alone, which i did mostly, but after a couple of days it would have a mad couple of hours reseting itself. The trouble is with that is it would'nt keep a stable speed and it just dropped down to next to unusable.

Anyway, fingers crossed i'll get as good a service as you.......Thanks again

Contributor
scratch910

Actually i have just thought, could i use my new hub straight away on the connection i have now, 20mb. The hub 3 is supposed to be coming today, but the engineer isnt coming till thursday, so would it do any harm to connect the new one now. May give it time to settle and all that.

Sage
imjolly

won't do any harm but as connection for infinity different it won't 'settle'  probably better sticking with your stable connection until change to infinity

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Contributor
scratch910

Thanks for the quick response. I would stick to my stable connection if i had one. :smileyvery-happy:

Contributor
scratch910

When you say "settle", does that mean there's no 10 day settling time?
Contributor
k2150

[ Edited ]

It doesn't take 10 days for the line to "settle" on a fibre connection.

10 days is for ADSL, but it's a much shorter for time for Fibre (FTTC), I was connected to Infinity yesterday the engineer tested 40Mbit at the cabinet, at home after everything was hooked up I was getting 35 Mbit, he said the line was good for at least 37 Mbit down / 8 Mbit up which is EXACTLY what I got about 5 hours later and have had the same speed all day today .... big thumbs up for Infinity from me!

Aspiring Expert
wedding

Yes definitely worth it. Have had Infinity for just over 6 weeks and only had one problem where my speed went down to about 10 mbps but that was quickly sorted out by a BT engineer making some adjusatments to the street cab. Thanks BT.

wedding

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Mistakes and embarrasing goofs in e-mails are only discovered when you've sent them!
Contributor
scratch910

Thank you all for your reassuring replys. I do feel much better about infinity now, roll on thursday.:smileyvery-happy: