MattyRj90

Is there any way to lower my PING? (i have BT infinity 2)

Hi i'm just wondering if there is anyway to lower my PING? I understand it varies depending on how far i am from my exchange but i have the exact same package as my next door neighbough (who is slightly further from the exchange than myself) however they have 20 less ping than myself..... i'm no expert but i wouldnt have though it should be that much.

Also i'm using the BT home hub 5 if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance

Expert
ray_dorset

Re: Is there any way to lower my PING? (i have BT infinity 2)

No it doesnt depend on distance to the exchange. It's mainly down to the BT network and if you have interleaving on your line.
MattyRj90

So basically the amount of copper from my green cabinet to my line?
Expert
ray_dorset

No, that's virtually irrelevant - it's such a short distance. A few hundred miles, or say across the Atlantic, would affect your latency.
Aspiring Expert
Checked2013

If your line is of poor quality then a high interleaving may be applied to your line and can effect your ping.

Guru
sjtp

[ Edited ]

Three things will affect the ping (two already mentioned)

interleaving.  Do a command line 'tracert bbc.co.uk'.  The first hop should show consistently 1ms or under.  If not, something wrong in your local network.  The second is likely to be around 5ms to 8ms (if no interleaving), or 14ms to 20ms (if interleaving).  Interleaving is added to noisy lines to improve reliablilty.

silly internal BT routing (eg Winchester-Sheffield-London).  again see the tracert ~ more difficult to identify as several nodes prioritize tracrt response low, so the values you see are a little skew.  That adds around 8ms to ping for me.

sites a long way away. eg pings to the US are always going to be around 100ms or more.

Nothing much you can do about any of those, alas.  There is an interleaving related ping/reliability/speed tradeoff, but you are not allowed to make that tradeoff in the way that suits you best.