Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Manually set DNS servers in BT Homehub 2.0 with BT Infinity

Rather than having to se my DNS manually in network connections I was wondering if there was a setting on the homehub for changing DNS servers as I would like to use OpenDNS so I can test their web filtering capabilities.

I have browsed the hub settings but there doesn't appear to be any setting to set DNS servers statically, it seems automatically use BTs DNS servers when the connection is live.

Aspiring Expert

Re: Manually set DNS servers in BT Homehub 2.0 with BT Infinity

Guyver400

Think you have answered this yourself :smileywink: I don't think you can do it manually in the hub (unless someone can say otherwise). It will have to be done in the clients I reckon.

cheers

I got Infinity installed last week, went from a 2.4Mb/s connection to 39.2Mb/s which is a major improvement.

To get OpenDNS to work without manually setting the client machines, you will need to buy a Wireless Cable Router. I got mine from PC World on offer online, but collect in store, Netgear WNR1000 N150 for £27.95, which I configured to as follows,

1. Hide your BTHH SSID, that way only you know it is there, this allows you to connect wireless devices your trust.

2. Connect the Netgear to a free port on the BTHH

3. Go to the advanced settings for the BTHH and setup a DMZ to the Netgear

4. On the Netgear, setup your SSID, security key and set the DNS servers to OpenDNS.

5. Connect wirelessly to the Netgear and test your using OpenDNS, by trying to access a blocked site.

At first the Netgear would work wired, but wireless connection did not work, the only way around this was to set the Netgear to a DMZ port.

MrP
Aspiring Expert

[ Edited ]

Hi hippomango, your solution to override the DNS settings in the BT Homehub sounds interesting - except that I cannot get them to work!?

I have a BT Homehub 3.0 (yes, you still can't override the default DNS settings), but I can't see that making much of a difference. I can't get any of the computers (wired or wireless) to use the OpenDNS settings in the 2nd router, they always find the BT DNS.

Wondering if you can explain some more detail about your set up if possible?

- Presumably your BT Hub is still your default gateway?

- Your 2nd router (Netgear) has the BT Hub as the default gateway?

- All computers are DHCP? Or do you have some static? (At least 1 of my machines needs a static local IP, but DHCP for the majority)

TBH, I don't know how the DMZ helps in this case? (But that may be because I don't quite understand what's going on!) Doesn't the DMZ influence incoming traffic? Don't we want to direct outbound traffic?

Thanks for any info.

Aspiring Contributor

I haven't extensively tried to change the DNS server for the BT Homehub, but I have seen some postings saying it is not possible.

Anyway, if you use your another router behind the Homehub, then you can configure DNS servers in there. Eg, I use an Airport Extreme (and have the Homehub wireless network disabled) and have set that up to use OpenDNS as follows:

https://store.opendns.com/setup/device/apple-airport

MrP
Aspiring Expert

@peterben ... and do you still have your Homehub as the WAN interface? Your Airport Extreme presumably has a wired connection to your Homehub?

I'm on a PC setup (as opposed to a Mac - although I don't see why that would really matter), but I could not get a similar setup to work for some reason.

Aspiring Contributor

@MrP: no I have removed the Home Hub from my set-up now. See this thread for the settings.

Contributor

Just to let you all know, this is possibe on the BT HomeHub 3.

Settings
Advanced Setting
Broadband
Dynamic DNS
Guru

[ Edited ]

conman wrote:

Settings
Advanced Setting
Broadband
Dynamic DNS

But not OpenDNS:smileywink:

toekneem
http://www.no2nuisancecalls.net

(EASBF)

MrP
Aspiring Expert

conman wrote:

Settings
Advanced Setting
Broadband
Dynamic DNS

Using a Dynamic DNS service is very different to being able to set the primary and secondary DNS IP addresses -which is not possible on the BT HomeHub 3.