Aspiring Contributor
SteveWest
Accepted Solution

Master socket and mains supply

I've just been sold BT Infinity by a bloke at a call centre and I'm only now beginning to wonder if this is a good idea.

Looking at the BT website, it looks as though I need 2 mains sockets close to the phone master socket. In my case, the master phone  socket is in an external box, outside the house so there is no chance of a mains sochet anywhere near it.

A phone cable comes into the house from the master socket, to an "ordinary" phone socket on our living room wall. Again, there isn't a mains socket anywhere near. Currently we've got a phnoe extension cable plugged into that socket and trailing  about 8 or 9 metres around the edge of the room to the only mains socket, where we plug in the existing broadband router and a computer.

Is BT Infinity going to be a non-starter/major cause of stress/etc?

Thanks

Steve

Aspiring Expert
Nige32

Re: Master socket and mains supply

[ Edited ]
Hi Steve and welcome to the forums

Your internal phone socket faceplate will be changed over to accommodate the VDSL modem which the OR engineer will bring with him on the day.

The engineer can make an extension lead if its needed. So hopefully all will go well and be stress free for you.

Tea/coffee and biscuits are always a good idea for the engineer

Aspiring Contributor
SteveWest

Thanks for the reply, and it's good to know I don't need a mains socket  near the 'master' socket and that they can fit the new faceplate to the 'slave' socket. I'm surprised I don't even need a mains supply near the slave socket but I'll take your word for it and suspend disbelief until the BT engineer calls....

ypt
Aspiring Expert
ypt

[ Edited ]

Hi Steve

You will need a mains socket for the modem and one for the router - a short 2 way  (or more)  extension lead may be needed, which I believe you will have to provide.

All the best

Michael.

Aspiring Contributor
SteveWest

Michael

Thanks for the reply. Does the double power point need to be close to the slave socket? If so, this will be a lot of stress, because there is no power point nearby, nor even a suitable bit of furniture to hide an extension lead behind. My wife, who is already very sceptical of my decision to get BT Infinity will not be impressed if we have to have a mains extension lead draped round the living room :-(

Cheers

Steve

Aspiring Expert
Nige32

Hi

Sorry I didn't mean to imply that you would not need a mains socket for the vdsl modem, only that as far as I am aware the engineer could make an extension lead from the internal phone master socket (the new faceplate) to get the vdsl modem closer if possible to a mains socket. 

To be safe rather than sorry have a mains extension lead on stand by, also depending on how close that vdsl modem can get to your HH3 will dictate how long the RJ45 cable will need to be, you will be receiving a welcome infinity kit in the post at some point in the future it will contain some literature plus two RJ45 leads, the red one goes from the vdsl modem to your HH3 and the yellow one from your HH3 to your computer hopefully they will be long enough.

If the worst happens and they are not long enough, you can use over a 10m cable with no loss off speed.

Again sorry I should have worded my post more carefully

Aspiring Contributor
SteveWest

Thanks for the replies. Sorry I'm a bit ignorant about this, but that comes of signing up for something without having done any prior research on what is involved! Just trying to understand how this is going to work....

Currently I have:

1) Master phone socket - Outside the house

2) Installed wiring from the master socket

3) Slave phone sockets (there are 3 around the house but the one of interest is in the living room)

4) Trailing 10m phone extension lead plugged into the living room slave socket

5) Microfilter

6) Short lead from microfilter to home hub

7) Home hub

8) Ethernet cable

9) Computer

From the discussion here, I understand that I can move to the following:

1) Old master socket will no longer act as master

2) Installed wiring unchanged

3) Slave socket in living room will be converted to new master, with a new faceplate.

4) Engineer can provide an extension lead (about 10m) from the new master socket

5) New modem

6) Ethernet cable

7) New home hub

8) Second ethernet cable

9) Computer

Have I got this right? Also, a supplementary question: will my existing extension phones from the other slave sockets, in other rooms, still work?

Thanks again

Steve

Aspiring Expert
Nige32

[ Edited ]

SteveWest wrote:

From the discussion here, I understand that I can move to the following:

1) Old master socket will no longer act as master.  It will still be there but the internal slaves will more likley be changed over to the faceplate that the vdsl modem can connect to.

2) Installed wiring unchanged  correct

3) Slave socket in living room will be converted to new master, with a new faceplate.   Correct (any off the slave sockets can be changed.)

4) Engineer can provide an extension lead (about 10m) from the new master socket  correct (if the engineer thinks its needed)

5) New modem                 Yes a VDSL modem

6) Ethernet cable              Yes in your welcome pack

7) New home hub             Yes the HH3

8) Second ethernet cable   Yes in your welcome pack

9) Computer                     Yes your own  

Have I got this right? Also, a supplementary question: will my existing extension phones from the other slave sockets, in other rooms, still work?  Yes they should all work.  

Thanks again

Steve

Heres a picture so you can see what it looks like in my house

3.jpg

PC
Expert
PC

Another good picture in THIS POST  It shows the modem laying flat.

Personally I prefer Nige's installation with the modem mounted on a wall so that it's cooling vents work more effeciently.

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

Aspiring Contributor
SteveWest

Many thanks for the really helpful pictures...I'm beginning to have some very serious second thoughts about this!

If the engineer arrives and can only offer an installation that is totally "aesthetically unacceptable" to miy wife....and she sends him away, without installing it, how much will BT charge me?