Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Beginner

Moving BT Infinity modem and HH3 router to another location

Typically my master socket is in the dining room and all my IT kit is two floors up.  Was using HH3 as Total Broadband in my loft with ethernet connection out to my Apple Airport Extreme which ran the network - everything hunky dory but I wanted faster speed - hence Inifinty.

BT Engineer had a look at my set up, started talking of bringing in a hoist into my back garden to install new Master Socket and it just seemed easier to install in the dining room and use the HH3 as router and re-configure my network - wrong!  Most devices lose contact with the HH3 on a regular basis, therefore I want to re-look at installing Infinity into the loft and revert the HH3 to a ethernet connection out to my Airport Extreme.  I understand all the engineers do at the master socket is install an Infinity faceplate.  I've tried replacing the loft extension with a split front BT master socket and moveed the Infinity faceplate - result; voice remains but no DSL on the white Open Reach modem.  

Are there any suggestions what I need to do?  The original extension had four wires connections (white & blue, blue, orange & white, white & orange) but the BT master socket only has three positions and my original master socket only has two wires connected. 

Thanks, Andy

PC
Expert

Re: Moving BT Infinity modem and HH3 router to another location

[ Edited ]

Hi Andy and welcome

In THIS POST Phil recently wrote.-

"Very proud of myself this afternoon.  I'm not much of an expert when it comes to DIY but I have managed to hardwire the router from the back of my house to the office on the first floor at the front.  After much contemplation, I decided to buy some external cat5e cable and run this along the same points as the SKY feed.  The result looks pretty good and I can now get 37.5Mbps upstairs as well as down. Result."

Phil is very friendly I am sure if you have any questions it might be worth dropping him a PM ( philt1808 ) PM = Private Message if you click on the link philt1808 in brackets on the right you'll see SEND THIS USER A PRIVATE MESSAGE click on that.

Mention it's PC's fault your contacting him... Smiley Happy

Edit this thread has some info on cables http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/Master-Socket-gt-Modem-gt-Hub-Router-cabling/td-p/408439

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

Distinguished Sage

Much easier to use powerline adapters, see the diagram in this document Network connections

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Beginner

PC & Keith,

Thanks both for responses.

So far I have installed a BT split-front master socket in the loft and moved the Inifinty front plate to that socket.  The data connection does not record a DSL connection on the Infinity modem, however if I install an ADSL filter to the voice side I get 20+ Meg.  I then bought a second Infinity front plate and installed that at the original master socekt and therefore have two in situ - issue - loft stops recording a DSL onnection at the modem - as though the original BT master socket with front plate blocks it.  With both in place I have again tried the mdata connection upstairs but no DSL from that line either.  Would be great if I knoew what I was doint as opposed to trial and error (sorry, iteration)!

Expert

andyfaizey,

Firstly [this is just my opion],I do not think that you should be doing DIY on the BT master socket and other BT wiring,as your proper approach should have been to get a BT/OR engineer back in to sort it all out for you.

My reasons for saying this is that,if they have to do it now they could charge for the work.

Aspiring Expert

You might find the following guide to UK telephony wiring useful:

http://www.rob-r.co.uk/other/UKphonecatwiring.htm

Its worth noting however that The master socket is considered the demarcation between BT's network and you home wiring so technically doing anything with the wiring from the network to the master is forbidden *cough*. The newer NTE5 boxes circumvent this with the removable front plate to which your extensions are wired the O/R Infinity front plate goes further by adding an RJ11 socket for your modem which is isolated from your extension wiring, meaning that you no longer need to use filters as we did for broadband in days gone by.

The circumstances you describe, suggest to me that you 'new' master socket may actually be wired from the extension terminals on the  back of the original master or in some other configuration that has resulted in the modem socket on the new master being unfiltered which is why you are getting voice connectivity but not modem synch.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Aspiring Contributor

I had my Infinity Installation today, and had a similar problem. Thought I'd share my solution!

My master socket is in an inconvinient position for attaching anything. Previously I had ADSL running off an extension in my home office. When Infinity is installed, you should keep the modem connected to that socket, so can't run it off an extension, but I really didn't want my Infinity modem sitting next to the Master socket!

What I did was run a lenth of cat 5 cable (standard RJ45 connectors at either end) between the master socket and my home office, and buy a pair of RJ45 couplers (http://www.maplin.co.uk/rj45-8p8c-couplers-24632). I had a spare modem cable, so connected the modem cable from the master socket to an RJ45 coupler, which was connected to one end of the Cat5 cable (and yes, an RJ11 modem cable fits perfectly into an RJ45 socket!). At the other end of the Cat5 I connected another coupler, and another modem cable, which I connected to the Infinity modem. Started it up and it works fine over this Cat5 'extension', so I now have my modem and BT Home Hub in my office, a few rooms away from the master socket! Ran a speed test before and after the move and it gave me the same speed both times.

I mentioned this to the BT installation engineer when he was installing. He agreed that it should work, but BT would not advise it ;-)

So, to summarise:

BT Master socket-> Modem Cable-> RJ45 coupler-> Cat5 cable-> RJ45 coupler-> modem cable-> Infinity Modem-> Cat5 cable-> BT Home Hub

Hope this helps someone. As ever, your milage may vary. I might just have got lucky!

Distinguished Guru

Thegovier wrote:

So, to summarise:

BT Master socket-> Modem Cable-> RJ45 coupler-> Cat5 cable-> RJ45 coupler-> modem cable-> Infinity Modem-> Cat5 cable-> BT Home Hub

Hope this helps someone. As ever, your milage may vary. I might just have got lucky!

You have almost described what BT install as the data extension kit (or Home Wiring Solution) as part of a standard Infinity installation.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again Smiley Happy
Aspiring Contributor

ray_dorset wrote:

You have almost described what BT install as the data extension kit (or Home Wiring Solution) as part of a standard Infinity installation.

Key word there is "almost". With BT's set up, you need the modem at the master socket, and then put the Home Hub at the end of the Cat5. What I described was that you can actually put the modem at the end of the Cat5 as well. If you can get BT to run the cable when they install the service, then even better!

Distinguished Guru

No, the data extension kit extends the connection to the modem not the Home Hub. The "almost" refers to the RJ45 couplers which are not present in the data extension kit.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again Smiley Happy