Expert
martpu

Namesco BBMax - Can this test really be justified?!

[ Edited ]

Guys.

I think most of us are in agreement that the Namesco BBMax test site gives the most consistent results when taking a speed test however can the results from this test site really be justified when a download test takes roughly 2 seconds to complete?  Surely this test is too short to give a true reflection of our speeds?

An example of this is when I run the London Namesco test on speedtest.net. Same servers on bith sites as I understand yet my results are for more inconsistent compared to BBMax, and my guess is because the BBMax test takes a fraction of the time to run compared to speedtest.net.

Any thoughts?

You won't get to ride the racehorse...until you've ridden the mule.... - RogerB 13/04/2010
Expert
martpu

Re: Namesco BBMax - Can this test really be justified?!

Just to prove my point.  Just ran a few tests on BBMax.  All tests gave a consistent download speed of 68mb.

Then took the same amount of tests on speedtest.net (London Namesco).  All the tests fluctuated between 55-71mb?!

You won't get to ride the racehorse...until you've ridden the mule.... - RogerB 13/04/2010
Guru
Aarong

Personally Namesco is the worst server to test on the London server, across the forum BBMax has given the most consistent download speeds.

When doing a speedtest, it just determines how quick you can download the test package on the server, 2 seconds maybe short, but long enough for an estimate at least.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
MMR
Contributor
MMR

Hi,

I fully agree with your comments. Although the test results from speedtest.bbmax.co.uk are pleasing to most of us I do not beleive they are correct as the test is way to small and certainly does not take into account any of the inconsistancies of the connections. Have you looked at the speedtest.net download curve using Windows Task Manager Networking graph at all?

On my connection it is certainly not looking as a stable thoughput even though the final result is 58+Mb. It goes up and down like a yoyo. I beleive the speedtest.net files are bigger and therefore the yoyo affect may be taken into account in some tests. Hence why we all see lots of variations in the final results. Maybe wrong but I am personally more interested in the flat curve rather then the final results.

Expert
martpu

Aarong wrote:
Personally Namesco is the worst server to test on the London server, across the forum BBMax has given the most consistent download speeds.

When doing a speedtest, it just determines how quick you can download the test package on the server, 2 seconds maybe short, but long enough for an estimate at least.

It was great on 40/10 Aarong but I have to admit mate, it's hit but more miss on 80/20 :smileysad:

Is there a recommended server you know of fella?

Expert
martpu

MMR wrote:

Hi,

I fully agree with your comments. Although the test results from speedtest.bbmax.co.uk are pleasing to most of us I do not beleive they are correct as the test is way to small and certainly does not take into account any of the inconsistancies of the connections. Have you looked at the speedtest.net download curve using Windows Task Manager Networking graph at all?

On my connection it is certainly not looking as a stable thoughput even though the final result is 58+Mb. It goes up and down like a yoyo. I beleive the speedtest.net files are bigger and therefore the yoyo affect may be taken into account in some tests. Hence why we all see lots of variations in the final results. Maybe wrong but I am personally more interested in the flat curve rather then the final results.

Finally, someone on the same wavelength as me!

Totally agree mate. Final results are pretty good but the throughput is like a yoyo, which is a term I've used on plenty of occasions!  I find it very hard on speedtest.net to get a nice flat and consistent speed.

Guru
Aarong

On speedtest on the London server i choose "Structured Communications" or the "Sittingbourne" server, both give me the best results all round.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
Expert
martpu

[ Edited ]

Aarong wrote:
On speedtest on the London server i choose "Structured Communications" or the "Sittingbourne" server, both give me the best results all round.

They were even worse for me!!

Structured Communications was 22 down & 17 up

Sittingbourne was 30 down and 16 up

I guess you really do have to take these tests with a pinch of salt!

Expert
martpu

[ Edited ]

Then I pop a couple of hundred miles up the road and get 72 down and 17 up on the Manchester server?!

Bizarre!!

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1930163766.png

Contributor
smartie

BBmax test site results are spot on for me, whatever the results show is the exact same speed I get when downloading from fast websites.

Speedtest.net on the other hand is utterly useless in my view, wildly fluctuating results which are way lower than what my actual download speed is.

Personally the best way I test my connection is to download some divers from a well known company, their servers always max out my connection, I've had max download speed of 9.4mb/s right after speedtest.net gave me very low results.