Beginner
dtchristie

Netflix unwatchable but everything else fine!

Hi. Tonight Netflix will not play well on any device. Apple TV is connected via ethernet cable and the other device hook up via wifi. All the same. I have contacted Netflix, twice. Once to see what the problem was, as I assumed it was at their end as everything else was great.

They said, it looked fine their end and to try a router and hub restart. I did, but it made no difference. I called them back and they say the signal is definitly being sent but when it hits the ISP, it drops massivley. I'm guessing maybe there is a throttle on Netflix or maybe a port on the router doesnt like it anymore. It's been working fine for over 2 months now and even since the infity install on Tuesday. Tonight Nada.

Some stuff gets through after a huge buffer wait but then it'sall youtube circa 2001 quality.

My downspeeds are 65000 and up is 17000 and 1080p on youtube runs a dream. BBc iplayer and the other TV services are fine.

Netflix insist it's an ISP problem and I have a bad feeling BT is gonna tell me its theirs and I'm going to be sans Netflix forever. can someone please look into it for me?

Things I've already done:

Speedtest - it's fine

Other devices: No netflix

Connect directly using Ethernet: Yup, done that.

called Netflix: yes, not their fault they say.

reboot devices: yes

Try it at 1:30 in the morning so it's not peak time: I'm sitting here at 1:40 trying it.

Any ideas?

Contributor
mattward1979

Re: Netflix unwatchable but everything else fine!

What hardware are you using to watch netflix? 

My PC runs it perfectly with a wired connection, my phone runs it fine over Wi-FI, but my net-top used as a media centre to for the TV cannot keep up with the frame rate of NetFlix. 

It is supplied through Microsoft Silverlight, and is pretty terribly optimised.

Aspiring Expert
Alan63

there was a prob with netflix last night - but they got it resolved pretty sharpish.

I too had issues for a short duration - fine now

Beginner
dtchristie

Thanks Alan. Good to know. they told me the opposite. I toghout it had to be them as everything else is fine. Mine not sorted yet. I'll leave it 24 hours. How did you know they had issues? Did you contact any one about it?

Aspiring Expert
Alan63

[ Edited ]

mine simply sat at that big red netflix page for a while. 

customer service 0800 096 6380. The person said there was 'something and they were resolving that' by the time i put the phone down and made a cup of tea - normality was back.

it's all magic to me.

{edit} I'm all wifi by the way - no wires at all

Terryh82

[ Edited ]

I am also having this problem now. I'm on infinity and can't use Netflix, everything else is perfect, what's going on? 

Beginner
dtchristie

Hi Terry, all is fine now. Not sure if BT did something or Netflix were are maybe doing systematic server upgrades and didn't want to say. Either way I'm back to silky 1080p streaming. I'd leave it 24 hours.

Mine started to take ages to buffer but got hd then sd then hd again but the lip sync was way off. It's almost like it was slowly improving but now it's fine.
Terryh82

Thanks. I'll leave it tomorrow and if I'm still having problems call BT. 

Beginner
dtchristie

Good luck
Beginner
talksalot81

I have been having a great deal of trouble. I use Netflix as my sole video watching source so use it for several hours every day and for a month or so it has been great - never a problem. But the last few days I often find myself unable to watch because a show will not load, will repeatedly buffer or will be at very low res which looks awful on a big tv. It has definitely not been resolved since it is doing it already this morning.