Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aspiring Contributor

PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]

I had BT Infinity installed 5 days ago and I'm getting constant line drops. The longest I've managed to have a continuous on-line session is just over 3 hours - at times it drops wvery few minutes.

Had 2 calls to BT Customer Support (took 25 minutes to get through the last time), and an engineer booked for tomorrow. The first call to BTCS resuted in them saying there was a network fault, but despite advising the next day that it had been fixed, it hasn't.

Looked at my router log just now and each line drop is preceeded by PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request].

There seems to be a lot of Google traffic about this issue, but no-one seems to have an answer, although some say it's a request from BTCS themselves.

Anyone know what the issue is and how to resolve it?

Expert

Re: PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]

is your homehub rebooting as well?

i've seen that in the logs right before an entry about openrg sending a reboot command.

so for some reason bt keep sending commands to reboot my home hub 5.

its annoying the hell out of me.

Aspiring Contributor

Not always, but invariably. Sometimes it will glow orange, but I still ahver connectivity.

There seems to be a lot of Google noise about this issue, but no resolution by BT.

Expert

My hub 5 started doing the "PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]" about a week ago, but everytime this happened the hub reconnected extremely quickly and the sync rate/max attainable/SNR didnt change at all making me thing that the hub didnt actually loose connection from the streetside DSLAM in the green cabinet, because if it had have lost the connection fully then all of those would have reset and come back as different values.

A few days after the "PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]" I started getting the OpenRG reboots this was because BT pushed a test firmware to the hub which cause OpenRG to keep rebooting it. Unlike the "PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]" disconnections the hub fully rebooted and kept coming back with different line stats showing that the hub had indeed fully disconnected from the DSLAM.

I then did a factory reset which stopped the OpenRG reboots and the "PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]" disconnections for a couple of days, however we had quite a violent little thunderstorm and that started the "PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]" disconnections again, coincidence maybe?

Again the "PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]" doesnt appear to be causing the hub to loose connection to the streetside DSLAM as the sync rate/max attainable/SNR are all identical to how I connected 4 days ago and havent changed anytime it shows "PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]" in the hub log.

I personally think BT are messing with the network and its causing the disconnections further downstream of the local cabinets/exchanges due to the stats not changing whenever it happens and the speed of the disconnect followed by reconnect being a couple of seconds as opposed to a couple of minutes when a full disconnection has happened.

Can the MODs look into this issue and please provide some feedback on this as it is effecting quite a few customers as seen on various forums and threads on this forum.

If it is indeed BT messing with the network then why was there no press release advising us that this is happening and not to worry?

Aspiring Contributor

BT engineer has just called and replaced the frontplate with an older version, and also disconnected the extensions from it (don't have any anyway).

Problem seens to have resolved (but only time will tell) and the speed has gone up to 30Mb from about 22.

Aspiring Contributor

PS - he did mention that the new frontplates have been causing issues.

He noticed a lot of packet errors when conducting tests with the new version frontplate, which have preceeded the PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request] instruction.

I did manage 9 hours of connectivity last night, but that was with no or little load. 

Distinguished Expert

There's an issue with the REIN filter on the Mk2. Expect a Mk3 to be released.
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
Aspiring Contributor

Perhaps I spoke too soon - it just tripped again after 10 minutes, and the BT bloke has gone.

Perhaps it was a blip, as I noticed the phone tinkled a few times just after it went down and came up again.

Watch this space.

Distinguished Expert

You have a phone with a bell? Is it an old phone?

--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
Aspiring Contributor

Yup - an old 1950s phone converted to digital.

Still tripping out after about 30 to 40 minutes - and I've disconnected the phone to see if it makes any difference (just noticed it was dead, although it was live earlier).