Beginner
snork-maiden
Accepted Solution

Phone won't ring on incoming calls - Bt Infinity (Option 2) and Telephone activated today

[ Edited ]

Hiya

Today, we switched our broadband and telephone to BT. We had the engineer visit today and our BT Infinity service is up and running perfectly :smileyhappy:

However, ever since the landline switched to BT (about 2pm), our landline phone does not ring when on incoming calls. I've called from mobile and when I pick up the landline phone, the call is connected. The phone doesn't even light up to indicate a call is coming in. Nothin'. It was working perfectly this morning before the service switched.

I called the helpline and even though I explained that we have just switched, it was working, nothing changed in setup etc. the only solution offered is an engineer Call Out at a cost of £130.

I've tried an old phone. I've tried plugging into master socket (the engineer today fitted a new master). I've tried other extension sockets. I've tried with microfilter (although I understand this shouldnt be needed with the Infinity service). I've tried turning phones on and off. I've replaced batteries.

I'm confident that it's not a problem with our phones (and if it's the master, then that's a BT issue as they have installed the new master). I don't want to pay £130 and as a brand new customer I find it more than a little frustrating that we are left without a working phone on the day we switch to BT.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Should I report this as a complaint to escalate the matter?

Thank you!

Aspiring Expert
sicknote00

Re: Phone won't ring on incoming calls - Bt Infinity (Option 2) and Telephone activated today

[ Edited ]

hi snork.
please fill this out and a moderator will contact you,within a day or two.
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

Q. There is smoke coming out of my open reach box... so can I have a new one.
A. Sorry sir, The fault is showing at the exchange so your box should be ok.
BRING BACK UK CALL CENTRES!!!!!
Guru
toekneem

Re: Phone won't ring on incoming calls - Bt Infinity (Option 2) and Telephone activated today

Hi,

They have to point out the call out charge, it is not that you would definitly be charged it. You would only be charged if a fault was found on your side of the NT5 box, like extension wire/faulty phone etc.

Your right , filters are not needed with the Infinity service.

toekneem
http://www.no2nuisancecalls.net

(EASBF)

Beginner
snork-maiden

Thanks for the replies. My faith in BT is restored.

I had a call today as a follow up to my technical helpline call yesterday to ask if I was happy with the information provided and to ask how I would rate the assistance I received. I explained the problem and was put straight through to second line technical support. They ran a line test which was "inconclusive" and have arranged for an engineer to come back out to the property at no charge. The advisor was very apologetic and, as we are a new connection, believes the fault is either the new master socket fitted (he said something about a capacitor) or a board in the box outside the property.

Very prompt service too - I was offered a call out tomorrow morning.

I'm very happy with the speeds too; 37mb down and 8mb up (on a wired connection) :smileyhappy:

Aspiring Expert
sicknote00

glad you got a call out,hope it gets sorted,let us know how you got on :smileyhappy:
Q. There is smoke coming out of my open reach box... so can I have a new one.
A. Sorry sir, The fault is showing at the exchange so your box should be ok.
BRING BACK UK CALL CENTRES!!!!!