Aspiring Contributor
parryg

Problem With DynDNS & Foscam IP Camera

Today I had Infinity installed in my home and everything works perfect except for accessing my IP Camera remotely.

Here are the settings I currently have:

Camera

DDNS Status: DynDns Succeed (http://**************.dyndns.org:8090)

Home Hub

Port Forwarding:

Protocol           Port Range        Translate To

Any                 8090                8090

Game or Application                  Device:

Foscam                                   Foscam CCTV

Dynamic DNS

Dynamic DNS service status: Connected

Now as far as I can tell I have set this up correctly but I cannot access it remotely. These are the settings I used on my previous router with no probelms at all. I tried disabling the firewall on the hub but still no luck.

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Re: Problem With DynDNS & Foscam IP Camera

[ Edited ]

Does this page tell you the port is open? http://www.canyouseeme.org/

Also may be worth reading this thread http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/Port-Forward-help-using-BT-Infinity-amp-HH3/td-p/135365

Infinity does seem to present problems with port forwarding.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Aspiring Contributor
parryg

The port is acutally forwarded to the camera IP and not my PC so I cannot check it via that website.

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

That website does not check it to you PC, it simply looks at your public IP address, as determined by DynDns, and determines whether there is an open port at that IP address.

It does not have to be your PC, it can be a camera, slingplayer or any other hardware.

If that website says it cannot see your port, then something is wrong with your port mapping. I do know that the HH3 has issues, which are being investigated.
There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Aspiring Contributor
parryg

[ Edited ]

Port forwarding works with the Air Video app fine over 3G on my iphone using port 32458 and according to that website I get the following:

Error: I could not see your service on ******** on port (32458)

Reason: Connection timed out

The Camera is port forwarded the same way.

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

[ Edited ]

I use quite a number of forwarded ports on my Home Hub version 1, however when I map ports, I never use "any" in the protocol field.

I normally select "TCP", and if udp is needed as well, I create an additional entry in the port entries.

I do recall lots of problems with some applications when I used "Any" in the protocol field.

I notice that you mention that you camera has DDNS settings, I wonder if they are upsetting the DynDns host resolution.

The home hub should have its own settings for using DynDns, which ensures that if you broadband line drops, the public IP changes. Having the camera doing the same thing can result in you account being blocked for abuse.

You could check your public IP address on on of the many websites that show this, and check to see if it matches the value returned by DynDns.

I assume that your camera is using DHCP to gets its IP address and gateway.
You may be better assigning the camera a fixed IP address outside of the home hubs DHCP range. I have found this method 100% reliable when it comes to mapping ports.

Aspiring Contributor
parryg

Keith_Beddoe wrote:

I normally select "TCP", and if udp is needed as well, I create an additional entry in the port entries.

I made seperate entries for both TCP and UDP just incase.

Keith_Beddoe wrote:

I notice that you mention that you camera has DDNS settings, I wonder if they are upsetting the DynDns host resolution.

I just tried disabling the DDNS settings on the camera page and I am still unable to access it remotely.

Keith_Beddoe wrote:

You could check your public IP address on on of the many websites that show this, and check to see if it matches the value returned by DynDns.

My public IP address matches the one on the DynDns website.

Keith_Beddoe wrote:

I assume that your camera is using DHCP to gets its IP address and gateway.
You may be better assigning the camera a fixed IP address outside of the home hubs DHCP range. I have found this method 100% reliable when it comes to mapping ports.

I set fixed IP addresses for all my devices already, makes things easier.

I really can't understand why this isn't working :smileyindifferent:

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

[ Edited ]

I cannot really suggest anything else at the moment. It most likely has to do with the way that Infinity deals with incoming ports, as there are two modems involved. The VDSL modem, and the home hub.

Have you tried using a different port, like 8080 ?

I would normally start doing full network diagnostics using Wireshark, but unless you have access to an Ethernet hub (not a switch), its going to be impossible to intercept the connection to the camera. I would guess that the incoming request is not even getting past the home hub.

Perhaps a furthur search of the forum may reveal other user solutions, or even a Google search.

Aspiring Contributor
parryg

Tried changing the port and no luck.

I have just came accross this:  UPnP Failed: Errors in Chat with UPnP Device.

That's whats displayed on the camera status page under UPnP.

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

[ Edited ]

If you are mapping the port manually, then UpnP should be disabled, as its not needed, and may cause conflicts.

UpnP is best disabled on the home hub as well, as it is always best to manually open ports, as you keep control of your applications, and reduce the chance of rogue programs sending data.

Just as a matter of interest, what static address on your home network have you given the camera? The camera network settings should be something like:-

IP Address 192.168.1.XXX

Netmask 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway 192.168.1.254

DNS server (if specified)  192.168.1.254