Beginner
themix

Remote access to BT Home Hub 3

I am trying to set up remote access to my home hub 3 so I can manage settings on in when I am at work etc...  I have created an account with dyndns and enabled this setting on the HH3 and this is all working correctly but when I try to log in to my home hub remotely it is just not working.  I have the correct address but no luck.  Are there any ports that need forwarding on the HH3?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Matt

Contributor
TankSlappa

Re: Remote access to BT Home Hub 3

I don't think you can remotely connect direct to the HH3, you have to connect through it to a PC, and then from that PC you can run a browser and access the router from the LAN side of your network.

This is certainly how I do it.

If you use windows, depending on the version you use, you might have remote desktop (for example XP Pro has it, home version doesn't) or you can install a VNC server.

Whichever one you pick, you will need to forward the required port on the HH3 for the remote access protocol you pick to the PC.

Distinguished Guru
Ectophile

I don't think this facility has ever been enabled on the various models of Home Hub.  It would be a security nightmare if it were.

Contributor
BryantI

I have had a number of different routers and they all allowed me to connect remotely not a big issue as I use TeamViewer to connect to one of the other laptops and then to the HH3 what would be nice would be to access the USB port remotely as I have a hard drive plug in but can do this through TeamViewer if I need a file urgently.

Aspiring Contributor
requiem

did you get an answer on this?

I am keen to remote manage my HH3 remotely as i have done in the past with many other routers.

Thanks

Contributor
spooksman

[ Edited ]

Hi

As the above posts say - this is not a feature that the HH3 supports - you'd need to access a PC on the network and then access the HH3 from there. As the other poster said, an RDC or VNC session would work (these would need a dyn-dns set up) or something like TeamViewer or LogMeIn might be easier - personally I use LogMeIn.

Hope that clarifies things.

G

qazman

Is it possible to access the Web GUI remotely using a DynDNS/SSH tunnelling? It works OK for other GUIs on my local LAN but not for the Home Hub 3.

Contributor
TankSlappa

You'll have to tunnel in through it to a machine on the inside of your network. Then access it from there.

If you know what you're doing you could tunnel onto a Linux machine and have that forward the request to the HH3 and route the reply back to you.

Without something on the inside of your network for you to use as a stepping stone to the inside interface of the HH3 you are out of luck.