Expert
Storm

Re: Replacement Router - Specific requirements

[ Edited ]

Not sure about the wireless dropping, it seems fine on my Samsung Galaxy SII but as far as port forwarding is concerned do you by any chance have a HH3 Type A?

I ask as I had to get replaced the original Type A I was sent with a HH3 Type B as port forwarding doesn't work on the Type A, it's fine on the Type B.

Speak to someone in tech support and explain you need port forwarding and specifically ask for a Type B, worth a try and will be the only free option.

If you already have a Type B then I'm not sure.

Contributor
MadPanther

Hi

My S3 has a static IP Address and DHCP is disabled on the HH3, so I don't think that is the issue.

Any recommendations for a £50.00 replacement for the HH3 ? VPN termination would be nice, but not vital !

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

[ Edited ]

How about the TP-Link TL-WR1043ND, its in use by other people, costs about £38.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Contributor
MadPanther

Thanks Keith, that looks like a good option !

Do you know of any others that do VPN termination ?

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

There is a small list here, recommended by other users, which is where my recommendation comes from.

There is also a link to the main thread on that page.

Replacements for BT home hub 3

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Expert
anthonyUK

The TP-Link Keith mentioned can run OpenWRT so should be able to be a VPN endpoint such as OpenVPN.

Contributor
MadPanther

Thanks, I'd spotted that last night and forgot to update my post.

I've upgraded my S3 to 4.1.2 today and the wireless seems a lot more stable, not noticed the drop outs.

Now if I could get the port forwarding working on the HH3 then this would be solved.

I'll have another look at the TP-Link :smileyvery-happy: