Aspiring Contributor
shodger

Restricted IP Openreach can't help

My recent engineer visit confirms easily 80 mb to my house on my line, and left with 36 mb, however IP states 5.5 Mb so speed will drop below that.

Openreach say they have tried resetting but nothing they can do it keeps going back down. What can I do, I have a 80 mb capable line restricted to 5 mb for some reason. 1/4 mile from cabinet pole outside my house, direct into house single socket max 6 mtrs. Next door same cabinet and pole 67 mb.

Bt only answer we can switch you back to normal broadband.....please help
Contributor
TheTvMan

Re: Restricted IP Openreach can't help

I have heard and read the phrase "lift and shift" being used before which relates moving your connection from one port to another in the exchange. Again I have read somewhere that this fixed an issue. Could be a bad pair in the drop wire..... I am not saying that it would for you but it deos sound like an unusual issue.

How long have you had Infinity?

What speed was you Broadband before?

Are you technically minded/confident with updating Firmware? We could hack your modem and get some line statistics....

Contributor
Jorvikwarrior

I think the best thing to do is contact the mods on here and let them work their magic. I was once told the same thing and BT refused to send someone out, the mods arranged another engineer visit and ended up having 3 lift and shifts and a solid connection.

When you say you get 80Mbps to the house and then it drops is it the IP Profile that drops or the sync on the openreach modem? Even though I had a lift and shift, my profile did drop a further 3 times before it started to increase after the BT enginner visit before it went back up...

Get the mods on the case...

Aspiring Contributor
shodger

I contacted mods 5 days ago no response, speed yesterday after engineer was 36, on a 40/10 package so good. Bt customer options insist I don't have fibre and can't get it, tech support at profile on line is 5.5 max so speed will drop to that and I should think myself lucky if I'm getting more ,
Engineer yesterday at my house said well capable of 80 mb at this location and has worked on that cabinet a lot . Can't understand why my address reads 5.5, they say there is nothing they can do
Expert
Deathtrap3000

Im not sure what your problem is. You say you are currently getting 36mbps so your ip profile will be around that too. Its not set at 5.5 otherwise you would be getting 5mbps, not 36. If there are no problems on your line the speed wont drop, and as the engineer said the line is capable of 80mbps then there is a lot of overhead which will help you maintain good speeds.

Aspiring Contributor
shodger

Problem is fibre is not recognised at my address type my number into any ISP the mac speed on fibre is 5.5 which is what my speed drops down too every time over a couple of weeks. Type my next door neighbours number in its 55. They have never had an issue and get 67 mine for seven months continually drops, something is not right