petal

Review of BT Infinity

This year we switched from a BT Home Hub to BT Infinity. Yes I'd say it's better at streaming online video and the speed is good, however its reliability for working is poor. The connection 'drops out' or fails to connect to the internet more than 3 times a day and only after a series of 'restarts' does it once again work. I'd like to highlight that in BT's latest advert for the product, it emphasises that their new divice means that your connection will never 'drop out' or disconnect. In fact, it couldn't be more the opposite.

Contributor
proterra

Re: Review of BT Infinity

Never had any problems in 3 months wired or wireless.. are u using wireless, if so it could be interferance from mobiles etc thts causing droput
Contributor
asdti

I've had Infinity for about a month now and never had a single dropout (I still have the same IP address as the day the engineer installed the system), together with the same IP profile - 38717/10000.

My throughput (using N wireless) is 34.5MB, but 'only' 22MB using G wireless.

Needless to say, I am so far delighted with the service and speed (I came from Be*, where my speed was 15MB on ADSL2+).

I would say that if your line drops so often, I'd report it as a fault - it doesn't seem to be the norm. (Remember by their nature, forums tend to be full of the more problematic events)

If it's wireless interference, then try setting your router to WPA2 Only (not WPA and WPA2) and to the least congested channel and not on AUTO.

A great place to see what chaneels your neighbours are using (and so you can avoid interference as much as poss) is to download and run Inssider from Metageek http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

Mark

LightningBB

Just to add to what Asdti said. There is always the possiblity that you have a fault on your line that would not have been picked up on the slower speeds. If you report a fault and request for a Broad Band engineer they can run tests to see if your connection has any errors and hopefully find a poor connection that would cause the Internet to drop off. Also It does depend on weather the cable from the Dslam (server) that is in the street is made of Copper or God forbid Aliminium. Good luck.

Distinguished Expert
pippincp

[ Edited ]

asdti wrote:

My throughput (using N wireless) is 34.5MB, but 'only' 22MB using G wireless.

Mark

22Mb is about the maximum you'll get from wireless g. Although it is rated at 54Mbps real time throughput is only 22-24Mbps due to overheads so it performing as expected.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cabinet comissioning process.

Get your IP Profile by running this speedtest (then Further Diagnostics) .

[url=http://valid.canardpc.com/2640296][img]htt//valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/2640296.png[/img][/url]

Get your IP Profile by running this speedtest (then Further Diagnostics) speedtest.

[url=http://valid.canardpc.com/2640296][img]http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/2640296.png[/img][/url]
Beginner
mandobob59

Hi, I am having exactly the same problems.  My Infinity was only marginally faster than my phone line.  Recently it has slowed right down, even on the non-wireless computer!  As a non-techie I had hoped that going with a major company such as BT these problems would not arise, ( I have been with BT for many years).  I have tried their desk-top repair program but it will not load.  It is on the computer but will not come-up... today I left it for 3 hours to load and... nothing!  Can anyone help me with easy tips to try and sort this out.  Please I am NOT technical so be clear if possible. What is a re-start?  Has any one tried other providers and did it get better or were there the same issues?

jbugging

I am also experiencing slow speeds and dropouts with Infinity. I have tried changes settings and spent far too long in contact with BT trying to resolve this. I have also moved and had it reinstalled with new equipment at my address but I am having the same issues. I am more disappointed due to it cost twice as much as my previous connection which only delivered 2MB at best but offered a more reliable service and no drop outs. The only improvement I've found is with file downloads but it is constantly buffering when streaming video which is extremely frustrating. Everytime I've addressed it with BT I am told to monitor it for 24 hours. I used to get fibre optic broadband a couple of years ago (with V*) in my student house but that provider is not available in Milton Keynes but they were much better and delivered better speeds with four high users than I have now although the package I had with them was for 8MB compared to the 40MB I have with BT. If I wasn't in contract I'd have binned this by now. Fully regret joining BT

Aspiring Contributor
Jaggy

""(Remember by their nature, forums tend to be full of the more problematic events)""

This is the problem i am having with help on picking BT has a ISP (had them back when they first did broadband), I see loads of connection problems/dropout`s even posts on P2P though that would only bother me Gaming wise seen as some games use a P2P system ( no, i dont touch them other p2p rubbish things BTW) ..
Neil_Mackie

Here's a strange one for you...

Since having BT Infinity installed, both my wife and I have found our mobile batteries have drained significantly more quickly. Anyone else found this? I found the same problem when I installed the BT Fon app on my Blackberry - sucked my battery dry within about 4 hours - so quickly deleted it.

I'm in the process of testing lifespan on mine at the moment after disabling BT Fon as a connection option - so far a bit more life. My wife's HTC is a bit of a harder nut to crack as it doesn't seem to want to "ignore" BT Fon.

Anyone else had a similar issue? On our previous BT Total Broadband, no issues and around 48 hours battery life. Coincidence or some weird glitch in the connection?

Contributor
loudgraham

no problems here what so ever with If 2 in 2 months . going from 5mb and drop outs galore to 55mb and no drop outs couldnt be happier. if there are drop outs there is a problem with ur line . contact the mods, who are a UK based care team and they will get back to u within 3 days.