Sage
john46

Re: Review of BT Infinity

Here is a link to the forum mods they normally reply within3 working days personally by email or phone

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
BB
Contributor
BB

[ Edited ]

Simple one word - Terrible 

Always have been a BT customer on the standard broadband package & been very happy with the service provided, unfortunately since I have decided to "upgrade" to BT infinity so I could stream movie's & TV which the standard BT broadband connection did OK with (had the occasional case of buffering), since upgrading to Infinity I can rarely stream a movie or TV program without issues if I'm not disconnected half way through what I'm watching it's constantly buffering. Have rung BT to report a issue where I'm connected to a foreign call centre where to be honest the people on the other end do try to seem to be helpful but very little seems to happen apart from receiving texts to get them to ring back if the issue continues. 

If you want to use BT Infinity for online gaming that is also nigh on impossible as the speed doesn't seem to be constant so most online games are cursed with lag, again another issue which I didn't have with the standard BT package

Oh another thing, the advert shown on TV is nothing but a pack of lies or at best extremely misleading, try using more than one device at a time on BT Infinity & it totally can't cope (Most items I have connected at one time in a small one bedroom flat is BT Vision, PS3 & my smart phone) 

From being a very happy BT customer I'm now a very disgruntled customer :smileymad:

My advise is avoid the Infinity service at all costs 

Spoiler

DavidM

Hi BB,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. Sorry you’re having problems with the connection. I can look into it for you if you wish. John46 has posted the link where you can contact me (thanks John) so drop me an email with the details and we’ll take it from there.

Cheers

David
BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)

Aspiring Contributor
mds1256

BB wrote:

Oh another thing, the advert shown on TV is nothing but a pack of lies or at best extremely misleading, try using more than one device at a time on BT Infinity & it totally can't cope (Most items I have connected at one time in a small one bedroom flat is BT Vision, PS3 & my smart phone) 

Maybe a little too harsh, I can connect 4-5 pc's up plus a couple of smartphones and stream YouTube HD 1080p on all computers at the same time with no lagging or buffering. I just think it is a problem on your line, my line was unstable during the first 8 days (which BT advised would happen, but since the 4th day it has been rock solid with very very good speed!).

Hopefully BT will sort this out for you, if you are using wireless plug them in wired and try it and see what happens.

Contributor
TheHorseman

I have had Infinity now for over a year and have had the odd 'dropout' but it has never failed to reconnect. By 'odd dropout' I mean that you could count them on the fingers of one hand over the year. I am not counting the one a couple of weeks ago as that was due to a power cut.

Do you mean that the connection drops i.e. the modem lights go out or is it the homehub? Also is this wired or wireless?

Aspiring Expert
RobFletcher

A lot of peopl ewho have upgraded to the 80/20 package have seen sudden big drops in speed - eg from 70 Megs down to suib 1 meg. This is not a line fault in most cases, reconnect via the hub manager, and the speed comes right back where it was.

The drop is linked to a modem resync - and this in some cases is due to a remote access to the modem by BT - you can see the event in the hub logs. BT is sending a config request to the modem and this is upsetting the link to the home hub - the IP Profiles and sync speeds are just fine ... just the actual download and upload speeds are broken (mine went from 64 megs to 760k both ways!). Once the hub reconnect (no power cycling or reset or hub or modem), all is well, and has been for 8 days.

Oh yes, and engineer tested my line, from home to hole in pavement outside, back to the old green cab, the cross connect, the connection in the new cab. Also, in the past, the connection from the old cab to the exchange was tested and a lift and shift done. The loss from to the cab is 8db, and the loss from the cab to the exchange via the old copper was 51db - now fast due to the fibre! Also, to be fair, all the checking and testing of joints etc made no difference to the issue we were having - in the end the BT DLM was the problem - only got 135k-160k, so not wonderful - O2 with no DLM, gave me 3.5 megs!

So, all is not fully rosy in the BT Infinity camp, the main issues I see being slowdowns and slower pings as well until a reconnect. I don't play games or stream TV or YouTubes, so no big deal for me ...

Really enjoying the higher uploads though - photography and music production/interworking is my thing.

Cheers,

Rob

Beginner
missthing29

Absolutely agree with you my friend.  I, like you, stupidly decided to upgrade to BT Infinity 3 months ago from my previous BT Broadband package and it was the worst decision I have ever made.  My broadband speed has slowed down to the point of non-existence - and there are endless problems, Internet not responding, cancelling navigation, freezing, downloads taking so long that I don't bother.  I don't do any online transactions at home because the processing takes so long I'm timed continually out, I've had so many problems connecting to Skype I don't bother. I'm now having to either resort to doing anything online either at work or at an internet shop so what was the point of of me having Infinity at home????!  To be honest I could break wind faster than the broadband speeds that Infinity currently provide me at home and then BT have the cheek to advertise Infinity 2 - I suggest you get Infinity 1 right first!  If I could get out of my contract I would. 

Lucky for those who have had no problems with Infinity - I'm not one of them :smileysad:

Aspiring Expert
RobFletcher

Hi missthing29 ...

First, have you tried logging into the home hub and doing an internet reconnect?

Do you have a home hub 3 or and older hub from your previous BT package?

If you have an old hub, contact the (overseas) call centre on 0800 111 4567,  and tell them you need a Home Hub 3 - and they should send you one.

Also, do contact the forum mods https://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951 using this form ..

They are UK based folk who have a good record of sorting all sorts of Infinity problems out ... they will contact you ...

Remember it can take them at least 3 days to respond to you, so be patient - but they can get onto your case for you and resolve what are serious problems, which you should not be having ...

Let us know how you get on ...

Cheers,

Rob

Beginner
missthing29

Hi Rob,

Done reconnecting til i'm blue in the face you name it I've tried it - tired of trying now and there has been no improvement and I have the newest hub (Home Hub 3).

On your advice I will try these UK based folk (didn't know they has UK based people) as the final try but if they can't solve the endless problems I'm having then I will be looking for way to get out of this contract as I'm literally tearing my hair out!

Will let you know how I get on (typing this at work in my lunch breakl!!)

cheers,

missthing29
BB
Contributor
BB

[ Edited ]

Missingthing I also get extremely angry everytime I see those adverts on TV

Have sent an e-mail as requested  & am now waiting to see if that helps my situation.