Aspiring Contributor
agebage

Slow download speeds?

Hi i have had bt infinity for about 2 months now and when i have done speedtests it has usually been alright, when connected to the ethernet at best download speeds of 45Mbps and when wireless at best download speeds of 20Mbps. However when i actually download stuff the best speed i have ever gotten was around 500Kbps and recently it has gotten slower and it usually downloads at 150Kbps. Now i am really inept when it comes to this sort of stuff but to me this does not sound right. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Sage
imjolly

Re: Slow download speeds?

there is not many places which allow you to download at your max speed.  many sites cap the speed you can download at to be fair to all users downloading from their servers. 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Aspiring Contributor
agebage

Thanks for replying but if thats the case then that means bt infinity is downloading files at the same rate as my old broadband. Also i have been hearing about people download 700mb files in 3 mins and im getting nowhere near those speeds even though speedtests are telling me that my download speed is fast. Its not just sites like rapidshare etc its even stuff like downloading a browser setup its just a bit frustrating thats all i feel as if i should be downloading at Mb's per second is a max of 150Kbps really acceptable for bt infinity the fastest broadband in the land.
Sage
imjolly

it just depends which sites you download from.  many who download large amounts probably use the newgroups where you can download as fast as your connection can take it

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Contributor
Panman1964

[ Edited ]

Bear inmind that with a big fat pipe you can do more at once.

ie you can be downloading a file at the same speed as your old connection but instead of maxing out your line you still have overhead to stream video, browse even dowload another file from another location

Try dowloading the Ubuntu Iso and see what sort of speeds you get , I've just got the following so the servers good.

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

DISCLAIMER: although I work in the industry I do not work for BT and any opinions given are purely my own.
Aspiring Contributor
agebage

That was the fast download speed i have seen so far, was around 770Kbps I guess you guys are right it is the website servers well thanks for putting my mind at ease. By the way what is ubuntu is it like windows or something?