rebel_iang

Slow wireless speed with PS3

Hi,

I now have a fantastic 36Mb/s download speed with BT Infinity. Laptop gets 26Mb/s download using wireless (via the BT Home Hub 3), however, my Playstation 3 (PS3 fat version) only gets 3Mb/s !

Does anyone know how I can get a faster speed ? I am thinking of creating a wireless bridge using my Belkin wireless N router connecting to my PS3 ethernet port and creating a wireless bridge between this router and my Home Hub 3 router. Not sure if this is possible or not ?

Any idea's welcome as faster speeds for my PS3 was the main reason for getting faster broadband with BT Infinity.

Thanks

Ian

Aspiring Expert
sahotaquack

Re: Slow wireless speed with PS3

try it wired. I dont see why the connection speed on your ps3 matters? unless your constanly downloading items from the store.

rebel_iang

PS3 is downstairs so is too far from router

use the PS3 for gaming and also for iplayer and video downloads (lovefilm.com)

Aspiring Expert
sahotaquack

I believe its a problem that many people are getting, a max speed of about 4mb on ps3. Shouldnt make a difference for gaming and iplayer should run fine. 

Beginner
junglemonkey

I'm on the BT FTTP trial and I'm getting almost 40mb on my computer but only about 8/9 on my PS3. Yeah this is fine to watch iplayer etc but not to download films and games!! why isn't it as fast as my computer? Any BT people have an answer? 

Aspiring Contributor
meathane

i also get HORRIBLE speed with my PS3. iPlayer is unusable, and a 90MB game update took roughly half an hour. The line speed is 6MBps (usual download speed is about 500-600kbps).

Yes I've updated my PS3, reset all settings, tried the homehub port forwarding PlayStation 3 setting. I haven't tried it with an ethernet cable yet. PS3 fat, 40GB model.

anyone else the same or have any suggestions?

Contributor
dweller770

[ Edited ]

My Download speed is 38Mbs, the highest I have ever achieved wireless with the PS3 is 6Mbs. If you want more Ethernet is the way, I can get between 18-23Mbs.

If Ethernet isn't possible for you have a look at Home Plugs. I have used them in the past and they work great.

Beginner
forcefullpower

[ Edited ]

I too having issues with PS3 Wifi Speeds. Barely get 3mb on wifi yet on ethernet i get 20mb. There is something wrong with the home hub 3 as i get 20mb with a laptop on wifi and nearly 37mb on ethernet.

Are BT looking into this issue as there are a lot of people that buy PS3's

Also just because it MAY be fast enough for iplayer and gaming is not the issue i play games on my ps3 and downloading a 700mb demo taking over 3 hrs is not exceptable. Also updating games with 250mb patchs taking 1 hr or longer is not correct.

I am not paying £45 just to buy homeplugs when the router should be working correctly.

Aspiring Expert
MeanMint

On a wirless G network you will never get 54Mbps, the best you will every get is half that speed. Add in any other wireless items and it's reduced even more.

If it's critical that you get your full speed Cat5 or 6 is the way to go.

http://meanmint.spaces.live.com/
Aspiring Expert
sahotaquack

I just had my infinity fitted so dont blame me if you think this is a stupid idea.

When first connected with the stupid autdetect channel think i got 11mb wireless. My engineer then said that he will go through all of the channels to see which one works best with my wireless card in my laptop, then hurrayy i got 38mb WIRELESS! So if you connect your ps3 up and change your channels around to find the one that suits your ps3 wireless card best. Although this will reduce wireless speed on your cpmputer but you can switch back once you finish downloading on ps3.