iahmed
Accepted Solution

Switching from Virgin Media to BT

Hello

I've been a BT landline customer for over 20 years but my internet providor has always been NTL and then Virgin through cable. I would have chose ADSL but for years when performing speed checks I was only able to reach 4-8MB, apparently due to poor telephone lines. I think BT said I would have to pay if I wanted new lines put in but I cannot remember.

I would like to switch from my 50MB (recently upgraded to 100MB) to BT Infinity2. When entering my phone number it says I can get 48.8MB. I would like to know more information about this.

1. Would BT install a fibre line for me without charge? Would/could they use the existing cable line in my house by NTL/Virgin?

2. I already have a landline tariff but when selecting a package for broadband it says I must pay an addition 12.50 for a telephone line.

3. If Infinity2 is not using telephone lines why would one need to buy a telephone line/pay for line rental anyway? 

4. I am utterly annoyed with Virgin Media forcing us to use their Superhub routers - the coaxial cable plugs straight into the router and the routers firmware is appalling. I would prefer, although not necessary, to use my own router. Would this be possible? If so, what type of router would I be looking for? For virgin, it was a "cable modem router".

5. If BT install their own lines, would they still need the 'MAC address' from virgin? I saw this written in the "switching to" articles and I first assumed this meant that it was possible but to use existing virgin media lines for BT, until I realised that MAC addresses are needed to switch between providors on ADSL lines

6. What type of support does BT provide for its infinity2 customers? Are the call centres in the UK? Is the support line a chargable call?

7. I'm wondering out of curiousity, can consumers on infinity2 get rDNS or buy additional IP addresses?

Apologies for the mundane questions and many thanks in advance.

Aspiring Expert
dcullum

Re: Switching from Virgin Media to BT

iahmed wrote:

Hello

I've been a BT landline customer for over 20 years but my Internet provider has always been NTL and then Virgin through cable. I would have chose ADSL but for years when performing speed checks I was only able to reach 4-8MB, apparently due to poor telephone lines. I think BT said I would have to pay if I wanted new lines put in but I cannot remember.**If you already have a BT line, then that's all you will need**

I would like to switch from my 50MB (recently upgraded to 100MB) to BT Infinity. When entering my phone number it says I can get 48.8MB. I would like to know more information about this. ***The actual speed that you get with Infinity is dependant on a number of issues including distance to you local cabinet and line quality. The BT estimate is usually quite conservative***

1. Would BT install a fibre line for me without charge? Would/could they use the existing cable line in my house by NTL/Virgin? ***The NTL/Virgin coax cable would not be used, it would use the existing BT line that you've mentioned***

2. I already have a landline tariff but when selecting a package for broadband it says I must pay an addition 12.50 for a telephone line. ***If you've already got a BT line that you pay for then you should only be paying the rental once***

3. If Infinity2 is not using telephone lines why would one need to buy a telephone line/pay for line rental anyway? ***For BT Infinity a BT phone line is a mandatory part of the product offering***

4. I am utterly annoyed with Virgin Media forcing us to use their Superhub routers - the coaxial cable plugs straight into the router and the routers firmware is appalling. I would prefer, although not necessary, to use my own router. Would this be possible? If so, what type of router would I be looking for? For virgin, it was a "cable modem router". ***You can use any standard cable router that supports PPPoE, but BT do supply a wireless router called the Home Hub 3 which is fine for most people if perhaps not the most feature rich of devices***

5. If BT install their own lines, would they still need the 'MAC address' from virgin? I saw this written in the "switching to" articles and I first assumed this meant that it was possible but to use existing virgin media lines for BT, until I realised that MAC addresses are needed to switch between providers on ADSL lines ***I see no need for a MAC in your scenario**

6. What type of support does BT provide for its infinity2 customers? Are the call centres in the UK? Is the support line a chargeable call? ***BT use overseas call centres, which I would have to say are the weakest part of the offering***

7. I'm wondering out of curiosity, can consumers on infinity2 get rDNS or buy additional IP addresses?

***There is no static IP Address offering for infinity, but Dynamic DNS does work fine***

Apologies for the mundane questions and many thanks in advance.

See answers in line, and bear in mind the following...

There are two possible technology types for Infinity- Fibre to the Premises (FTTP) & Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) and it looks like your area uses the latter.  in this case you are still using the existing BT copper telephone cable to your house, but new larger green cabinets will have been installed locally which your phone line will be connected to. These cabinets are then connected back to the exchange using fibre optic cable the fact that the distance to the cabinet is much shorter than the exchange means that much high speeds can be obtained in conjunction with the fact that the technology is VDSL rather than ADSL

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Expert
Infinitechris

1) The 80/20 Infinity 2 service uses your existing BT line. The connection charge is included in the current offers. If you want or need a new line there is an installation charge.

2) No if you are renting from BT then your line rental changes to be inclusive

3) see 1

4) BT provide a VDSL modem and a "Home Hub" router but you can use your own "cable router" but are supposed to use the modem. There are some single box solutions but strictly these break the T & Cs. 

5) Not sure you need a MAC address as the new service is using a different line but clearly you will need to tell Virgin you want to stop their service. I would order by phone and the sales person will confirm.

6) 0800 but normally based in India. It can  be, as with many isps a challenge to get to a knowlegable support person. The mods on this forum are brilliant and can solve most any complex problem but take a few days.

7) Infinity has dynamic IP addresses (actually they only change once every 6 weeks on my line) if you want a fixed IP you have to buy the business product.

iahmed

Thank you both for your prompt and detailed replies, that's answered all of my questions.