Aspiring Expert
GeekOfBroadband

The New BT Home Hub 5

[ Edited ]

Well I have to say I'm quite annoyed because I just got the Hub 4 and the Hub 5 would have been useful to me because I could do without the Openreach Modem making more un-tidy wires. Is this Hub 5 only for FTTH/P users or is it for FTTC users aswell? And do you think it will be a FREE upgrade for the people who just brought the Hub 4?

Also, would there be a slight speed increase because there is no modem instead its built in so sync times might be faster? 

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3358809478.png
Expert
Deathtrap3000

Re: The New BT Home Hub 5

[ Edited ]

New modems and routers comes out all the time. Do people really expect manufacturers to upgrade people for free? They do have a plan apparantly for those who have bought a hh4.

Having it combined is unlikely to improve speeds, might shave off a couple of ms on latency though. It will be for self install fttc and 300mbps fttp at the least. 

Distinguished Guru
gg30340

According to the BT blurb, the Homehub 5 is set to be released later this year and will be available on all Infinity packages. Existing customers will be able to pay a reduced fee to upgrade.

It will no doubt be the same as when the Homehub 4 came out with confusion about who gets it for free, is it just new customers or re contracting customers or upgrading customers.

I'm pretty sure what won't happen is that those who have just bought a Homehub 4 will be given an automatic "upgrade" to a HH5 for free and why anybody should expect that is beyond me. If you buy a new phone, car or anything else and a new model comes out you don't get an automatic free upgrade so why would this be any different.

"If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, click the white star"
Aspiring Expert
Homer_J

Deathtrap3000 wrote:

Having it combined is unlikely to improve speeds,

Nope but hopefully you'll be able to get the line stats off it without resorting to hacking (physically in the case of the ECI model) the modem.

Aspiring Expert
spar

'Do people really expect manufacturers to upgrade people for free'

no deathtrap but i think the upset would be or is, that its so soon after the hh4.

You dont expect something that quick to come out and devalue your lastest purchase or upgrade,

this didnt happen for hh3 for eg, it had been around a while before the hh4 so u would expect the same, in fact there may be an argument as to why have the hh4 now if this was coming so soon after?

To launch it so soon after the hh4 when people may have decided to leave signing a new contract or whatever to get the hh5 is at the least somewhat annoying imo

Expert
soapy

the hh5 would be able to be used for all the connection types....adsl plugs into the grey rj11 plug, FTTC would plug into the same plug but the modem would be set for vdsl instead of adsl, and FTTP would be a 2 box setup, the white ONT box will be needed and will plug into the red rj45 wan plug

Aspiring Expert
happyslayeruk

'Do people really expect manufacturers to upgrade people for free'

Well if I'm paying £35 for broadband, and £15 for lione rental every month I'd like to be able to recieve the latest upgraded router for free,  at least when a new one comes out. I've had a HH£ since they came out but been told I have to pay for a HH4 even if I re-contract.

Sage
john46

the HH5 will only be supplied to infinity users the hh4 will continue to be used to all ADSL users

as this part of a press release states

The new Hub 5 is expected to launch by the end of this year and will be included in all BTInfinity packages as standard. Existing Infinity customers will be able to re-contract to get a Home Hub 5 for free or will be able to buy one for a small fee. Hub 4 will continue to be offered as an inclusive part of the package alongside BT’s standard copper broadband packages.

the hub shown was a mock up for press release purposes
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Aspiring Contributor
mellycoop

Will this work with DLNA as the HH4 doesn't appear to and even more suprisingly BT Tech support people do not even know what DLNA is.
Distinguished Guru
gg30340

mellycoop wrote:
Will this work with DLNA as the HH4 doesn't appear to and even more suprisingly BT Tech support people do not even know what DLNA is.

Don't know why you are surprised about that. First level BT Tech support generally work from a script so unless DNLA is on the script they wouldn't have a clue what it is.

I don't know the answer if it will work on the HH5 when it finally becomes available.

"If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, click the white star"