Beginner
alastair_eastaugh

Upload faster than download !!!!

Morning folks, in the past few weeks I have seen the speed of my BT infinity greatly depreciate. 

The BT speedtest results show a download speed of 7515 Kbps, from a supposed maximum of 12000-38717 Kbps

This seems very low to me and around what I was getting from the old 8mb service.

My upload however, seems to be doing just fine, with 7874 Kbps from a supposed maximum of 10000 kbps

If anybody could shed some light on this it would be appreciated :smileyhappy:

ypt
Aspiring Expert
ypt

Re: Upload faster than download !!!!

Hi Alistair
Welcome to the forum.
A few questions --
Are you using a wired or wireless connection?
If using a wired connection, which ports are you using and have you used the "devices" on the home hub manager to check the speed of connection. (there have been many posts about the "quality" of the home hub!)
That's probably enough questions for now --the good thing is that your profile is still high - it's when the profile goes down you need to worry!

Michael
Beginner
alastair_eastaugh

ypt, 

Thanks for the speedy reply !

I am using 100mb home Plugs, although I have tried using wireless too with similar results, I am using Port 1 on the homehub. 

I am not too sure about checking the devices on the home hub, I will have a go and let you know the results :smileyhappy:

ypt
Aspiring Expert
ypt

Hi Alistair
You'll find the devices under the network tab in the advanced section.
You will need the hub password to enter the advanced section.
It will show you the connected speed - if it says 10MB, then you are a victim of the 10/100MB syndrome where the port can't make it's mind up which speed to connect at.
Michael
Beginner
alastair_eastaugh

Ypt,

My devices are showing a connection of 100mbps under the devices tab, can you think of any other reasons for the poor downstream ?
ypt
Aspiring Expert
ypt

Hi Alistair,

Have you tried a direct connection to the modem? That is the only other action I can think of, to prove it's not the home plugs.

While I'm still suspicious of the HH3 or modem,if you can take the home plugs iut of the equation, i think it's time to drop a line to the mods. If you can't connect direct, then still contact the mods (I wonder if there's any rockers there?)

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

the good thing is that your profiles haven't gone down!

please let us know how you get on - the mods can take up to 72 hours to reply - and it will be either by phone or email - they are based in Northern Ireland.

good luck

Michael.

PC
Expert
PC

ypt wrote:

Hi Alistair,

..... then still contact the mods (I wonder if there's any rockers there?)

good luck

Michael.

Hope not... :smileyhappy:

Mine was a "D" registration the one in the pic "H" must be around 1970.

Btw appologies for interfering.....

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

Beginner
alastair_eastaugh

[ Edited ]

Update !

Finally managed to get hold of a friends laptop and try a direct connection, speed test showing results of 37mb when plugged in via ethernet, so it's obviously an issue with the home plugs...

Would upgrading these to faster ones solve the problem, or is it more likely to be the wiring.. it's a large house, so running ethernet cables across the place isn't really an option, not sure what else I can do ? :smileysad:

PC
Expert
PC

[ Edited ]

alastair_eastaugh wrote:

Update !

Finally managed to get hold of a friends laptop and try a direct connection, speed test showing results of 37mb when plugged in via ethernet, so it's obviously an issue with the home plugs...

Would upgrading these to faster ones solve the problem, or is it more likely to be the wiring.. it's a large house, so running ethernet cables across the place isn't really an option, not sure what else I can do ? :smileysad:

Hi Alastair

See THIS THREAD  where I mention the 200Mbps homeplugs seem to be ok working with Infinity for some people.

Wizen wrote at the end of it.-

"I have Devolo 200Mbps homeplugs, and I'm having Infinity installed tomorrow. (EDIT Today/Thursday) I'll report back on my experiences with homeplugs and the Home Hub 3 Type B. I reckon the most probable cause of your slow speeds is your internal wiring. Homeplugs are sensitive to poor internal wiring/interference/extension wiring."

So fingers crossed we should hear how it went.... See below.

Another route is using a wireless n repeater placed nearer the equipment. See THIS THREA

Edit from Wizens recent post after installation.-

"Well, I've been connected for an hour, and everything seems fine. I did a few tests using the homeplugs and a PC upstairs, and this is my result: 37.18Mb/s"

"As you can see it's pretty much full speed. I reckon the problems you're having are either with the homeplugs, or your internal wiring."

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)