Sage
Keith_Beddoe
Accepted Solution

Using the TP-Link TD-W8960N on Infinity - Information.

For anyone interested in using the TP-Link TD-W8960N on Infinity, as a cheap replacement for the home hub 3, there is some helpful information at the end of this thread, from a couple of forum members.

http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/OpenDNS-with-BT-HomeHub-Broadband/td-p/363155/...

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Re: Using the TP-Link TD-W8960N on Infinity - Information.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Beginner
patrickdiddly

ok thanks for all your help Keith

Pat.

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

You appear to have posted on the wrong thread. But it does not matter, my software script found it, as you had included my name.

Something to think about in the future, you can always contact one of the people at the end of that thread.

Beginner
infinitydemu

[ Edited ]

That is great I am considering getting the TL-WR1043ND and I might even consider putting DD-WRT on it. Configuration should be largely comparable to what you have described. Thanks.

One Question. Is it possible to retain FON that way? Or do I need ot get a router that already does FON (like the Fonera2 with DD-WRT already). Or could I just not give the key to hh3wifi to all my devices, but only distribute the key to the second router?That way the HH3 would only be used for FON/Openzone.

Is it best to chain the 2nd router by putting it to an ethernet port on the HH3, the LAN2 port on the openreach modem, or any other way?

Thanks for your help.

Beginner
infinitydemu

Keith do you happen to know if it is possibel to retain FON that way? I know the fonera uses ddwrt and does FON, but that does not mean dd-wrt also does BTFON. Do you know that it can or can't? thanks, Y.
Sage
Keith_Beddoe

You will not be able to transmit the FON signal, as this is done using a custom configuration within the home hub.

You can still use other FON hotspots, provided you are opted in. You do not have to use a home hub to be part of BT FON, (soon to be called BT WiFI)

Contributor
ZooBurner

Keith

May I ask a question, on the products home page it says this

Supporting the latest ADSL standards, the TD-W8960N provides higher performance (up to 24Mbps downstream)

My connection is around 74mbps!! (Infinity 2 )  or am i mixing up megabytes with megabits ?

Andy

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

If you are using it on Infinity, you are not using the ADSL part of it, only the router.

Its the same as the HH3, which can be used on ADSL and Infinity.

You may like to also consider the TP-Link TL-WR1043ND, which has a faster wireless connection as mentioned in this thread.

The TP-Link TL-WR1043ND is simply listed as a general replacement for the HH3, as ADSL users also have problems with the HH3.

If you only have Infinity, then there are plenty of other choices as well.

Contributor
ZooBurner

Keith

Yes thanks for that..of course its just the router (why didn't i think of that !!)  many thanks for clearing that up for me though !

Andy