Beginner
Berki

When will Cardiff Roath have inifinity

[ Edited ]

Hi,

When will Cardiff Roath exchange (SWRTH) be enabled for BT Infinity?

This exchange serves over 25,000 residents in the Welsh capital with many like myself on connections below 1Mbs. My connection is a maximum of 0.4Mbs. Many of the residents fall outside Virgin media's cable network and as such are stuck with cripplingly slow broadband speeds.

The current speeds I am experiencing make navigating the internet almost unusable, with family photo’s taking minutes to load and video sites like Iplayer and YouTube unusable.

I can no longer use services like Skype to keep in contact with family abroad, due to the limited bandwidth.

I've looking at the planned infinity enabled exchanges and Roath is not on any of them, so it looks like it'll be well in 2012 before we even get a date for infinity.

I find it appalling that for the people connected to BT's main building, in the heart of the Welsh capital, will be on broadband speeds not much faster than a 56k modem in 2012.

Expert
Paul1360

Re: When will Cardiff Roath have inifinity

Looking at BT Rollout Data for Exchanges coming soon & in the Future there is no date for your exchange to be upgraded and if I understand your post then Virgin is in the area then I don't think BT will do anything for a long time even tho many can't get Virgin.

Have a look here:-

http://www.openreach-communications.co.uk/superfast/where-and-when/

iechyd da 

sky twitter account a customer ask why sky go streams are worst then sd and yet bt and eurosports apps stream in hd. Reply from mod, oh thats easy the files for hd are some huge that sky go can't play them and no app can stream hd due to this and so when they say they are they're really sd streams, if there was any way around this we would have done it now.
Aspiring Contributor
Mach2Infinity

[ Edited ]

By the way, there's some good news. Due to local political pressure, BT have announced they're going to upgrade the Roath exchange with fibre optic technology by the end of 2012. It seems Pen-y-lan will be a priority due to the campaigning by the locals and the resident A.M. About time really, as we've never gone over speeds of 1.5Mbps and right now, it's plummeted to about 400Kbps! Although I wonder if that's because they've already started work on the upgrade?

Broadband upgrade A.jpg

Smitho3

Excellent news, had the leaflet through the post from the Libdems yesterday.  I'de just be glad to get 2meg where I am, rarely gets above 1meg at the moment!! (Penylan)

Aspiring Contributor
Mach2Infinity

[ Edited ]

We had 1.6Mbps at one time but due to a power cut, it reset everything and it never got back to that speed! Still, great news!

Aspiring Contributor
dazza76

Re: When will Cardiff Roath have infinity

I don't really understand how Roath doesn't have Infinity yet. I've over in Canton and I have Infinity but also the option of Virgin, Cable etc. Pretty much everything. I feel for you and hope they sort it out sooner rather than later. For a capital to have central areas not yet covered astounds me.

Guru
toekneem

Re: When will Cardiff Roath have infinity

dazza76 wrote:

I don't really understand how Roath doesn't have Infinity yet. I've over in Canton and I have Infinity but also the option of Virgin, Cable etc. Pretty much everything. I feel for you and hope they sort it out sooner rather than later. For a capital to have central areas not yet covered astounds me.

I like the reasoning, but I am sure that anyone out in the sticks feels that they are just as entitled to it as city dwellers.:smileywink:

toekneem
http://www.no2nuisancecalls.net

(EASBF)

antpk

Well I just can't believe it. Or I can and was expecting it. Today, it's the 4th date the BT website has given me for when my area in Roath will be enabled for infinity. It was first Sept 12, then Dec 12, then March 13 and now I read June 13. I have hit register my interest quite a few times on the infinity webpage and it would be nice if there was some explanation for why its taking so long.

Knowing my luck it will go the same way as the broadband at work. The local exchange is enabled but the area that would be ideal for the technology (being at the edge of the exchange) wont get it.

BT if you read this, can you please post an update. I know I'm digging up an old post but it shows how long people in roath have been waiting.

Beginner
Berki

After 1 year 6 months 2 weeks and 3 days since I posted this fiber optic is available in my area.

I too was given the date of the end of June on the BT home page.

But I kept checked the link below:

http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

And it suddenly went to available, contacted BT and they said its available.

Engineer booked itching to go from 0.5Mb broadband to 66Mb :smileyhappy:

Aspiring Contributor
Jughead

Strange it's taken Roath so long to get it with all those students and knocking shops there :smileywink: