Aspiring Expert
ady199
Accepted Solution

Wireless 'N' USB adaptor only connecting at 54 Mbps - WHY??

I have a laptop with a 'g' wireless network adaptor built in.............and connects at 54 Mbps - which is fair enough.

I've now disabled my internal card and have plugged in a Wireless 'N' USB adaptor which I've plugged into my laptop and the BT Home Hub 3 is still showing connection speed as 54Mbps

WHY!!!!

PC
Expert
PC

Re: Wireless 'N' USB adaptor only connecting at 54 Mbps - WHY??

[ Edited ]

Yep I have exactly the same thing happening on 1 out of the 4 machines I have installed adapters on.

The only way I can get it to work properly ie at >54Mbps is using the software I click on the off on tab a few times until it locks onto the correct speed.

I have set my HH3 to transmit only wireless "n"

I'll have a quick look for my post about it.

Edit..... my post HERE

Edimax wireless adapter  installed in "2 year old windows 7 laptop, turned the internal wireless off and still speed tests  around 20Mb!!!!!"

......."Lots of mucking around downloading driver updates and swapping types of wireless adapters didn't cure the problem.... but I have found a work around"

"So if I click the wireless of and on two or three times, maybe a max of five times, eventually it comes up with a speed of 65Mbps and stays on that speed setting constantly, allowing me to work wirelessly at the full 35Mbps Infinity speed. (If laptop is set to sleep or turned off then when it is bought back on I then have to switch the wireless a few times again)."

The Edimax allows me to turn the wireless off and on with a click of the mouse.

I even went and bought a faster wireless n adapter which still had the problem however it seems to need a lower number of switching before it connects at the higher speed. (EW 7722UTn)

When connected at the high speed my router shows this laptop as.-

Connection Information
Connection type:Wireless
Connection speed:116 Mbps
Connection status:Currently connected

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

Aspiring Expert
ady199

Thanks just tried your suggestions, but still no change - I've even changed the Wireless Interface type to 802.11 n 40 MHz but still no change.............

I'm really starting to get pi**ed of now

Aspiring Expert
jcampy

Open up device manger on your pc and look under network adapter for your wifi adapter right click propties then on one of the tabs there may be a option for rate adaptive or to set the conection type prefernce to N or 40mhz or something along those lines
Aspiring Expert
ady199

I think I've just found the problem.........

There is a setting in the 'Advanced' tab under the Wireless Adaptor properties called Roaming Sensitivity it was set to Highest as a test I've just set it to lowest and bam.....connection speed has now jumped to 109Mbps :smileyhappy:

Don't know how long it will last though

Aspiring Expert
ady199

Well this speed lasted for about 5 minutes yesterday - I'ts now showing 54Mbps again.

Can someone please help before I throw this router against something hard!

Expert
A1944

[ Edited ]

Satisfy my curiosity please.

Why do you want faster WiFi than 54 Mbps when the theoretical maximum speed of Infinity is currently set at 40?

Aspiring Expert
jcampy

If you read up about infinity you will find the max speed of G ia often only aroun 20mbps in real world tests
Contributor
Kitt

A1944 wrote:

Satisfy my curiosity please.

Why do you want faster WiFi than 54 Mbps when the theoretical maximum speed of Infinity is currently set at 40?

Home networking can use the extra bandwidth to transfer files between computers faster even if the max internet d\l speed is only 40Mb! Also since a typical network connection only uses a max of around 40-45% of its capability, a 54Mb connection speed will return a max of about 19-20Mb to\from the router - well below the internet d\l capability. I had a 130Mbps networking speed and was getting internet connection speeds of 35Mb, until Windows 7 took it upon itself to update the driver and despite rolling back to the previous version (and trying other drivers too) I can't for the life of me get it back up above 54Mbps and my speed tests don't even reach 19Mbps now. ...I feel your pain. :smileysad:
Aspiring Expert
ady199

[ Edited ]

This is just stupid - for some reason the HH3 has now decided to let my USB Wireless N adaptor connect at 144Mbps - I've done nothing different..........it just decided to change the connection speed.

I don't know how long it will last (5 minutes probably).....until it drops back down to 54Mbps.

Definatly something wrong with the HH3!