Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aspiring Contributor
Accepted Solution

bt infinity 3 - Very Fast Speed test but slow downloads

HELP!

Have bt infinity 3 for 6 months and been very fast.. most time about 24mb a sec real download.

Now after complete loss of internet one night the other.. did a complete power cycle.

Now the speed test with BT and other say 220mb fast... but I do see on the chart slowdown over the few seconds on the tests.

So now when I down load any file it starts about 8mb a sec and drop 1mb every secound to about 1mb a sec.

after having 6 months of great speed... no one knows what to do.. is the speed drop errors on the modem?

Been on the phone to BT and just get wait till it settles down again! After a full power cycle.. Even when I first was installed I was getting 24mb a sec after 10 mins of install. So why do I have to wait days now?

Mark

Distinguished Guru

Re: bt infinity 3 - Very Fast Speed test but slow downloads

Try bypassing the Homehub and plug the PC into the modem, then set up a PPPOE connection on the PC instead. See if that helps.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again Smiley Happy
Aspiring Contributor

Thank you for reply...

I will give it a try... would have been nice that the 3 BT engineers I have phoned could have told me that!

Smiley Happy

Contributor

I've had a similar issue too.

For the first 3 months I was getting 30Mb/sec downloads and was absolutely loving it.

About 3 weeks ago my IP profile was showing 319.25Mbps and now it shows up as 212.83Mbps.

Not sure how this happened and I have heard that there is a lot of overhead on FTTP connections.

The strange thing is I have a close friend who lives about 3 doors away from me and has got BT Infinity (installed a little while after me) but he still has an IP profile of 319.25Mbps.

The HomeHub was giving me intermittent download speeds,(check my threads for some photos) as soon as I disconnected it and used my own router I was getting a constant download of ~20Mb/sec

I would love for my IP profile to increase but I can't seem to find what caused it.

The FTTP team over the phone didn't have a clue what I was talking about.

Aspiring Contributor

Ah yes... I have noticed a few more poeple in my street getting fiber..

I dont mind loseing some spped but going to 1mb a sec.. is sick..

I would be very happy with 20mb a sec..

Going to try, "Try bypassing the Homehub and plug the PC into the modem, then set up a PPPOE connection on the PC instead. See if that helps." From Ray! Good man.

Now if everyone get it... whats the point of paying £50 a month for a **bleep** speed....?

I think should be a min speed for everyone..

Thanks for the help.

Mark

Expert

umar2131 wrote:

I've had a similar issue too.

For the first 3 months I was getting 30Mb/sec downloads and was absolutely loving it.

About 3 weeks ago my IP profile was showing 319.25Mbps and now it shows up as 212.83Mbps.

Not sure how this happened and I have heard that there is a lot of overhead on FTTP connections.

The strange thing is I have a close friend who lives about 3 doors away from me and has got BT Infinity (installed a little while after me) but he still has an IP profile of 319.25Mbps.

The HomeHub was giving me intermittent download speeds,(check my threads for some photos) as soon as I disconnected it and used my own router I was getting a constant download of ~20Mb/sec

I would love for my IP profile to increase but I can't seem to find what caused it.

The FTTP team over the phone didn't have a clue what I was talking about.

But you dont have a problem. You are still getting more than what you pay for. Expect it to go down to 160ish when they finally sort the packages out.

Contributor

Yeah not sure why its like that but still 160mb is good enough and hopefully they have different tiers for FTTP i.e. 160/220/330

Expert

They will be bringing new packages out soon, its inevitable with the launch of FTTPoD only supporting 330.

But having said that, a few of the installs ive done over the last few days have been given speeds of 330 although bt only sell 160 currently.

Contributor

Time will tell. I would definitely upgrade/re-contract to 330/30 if available.

Aspiring Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well.... I ring BT every day...

with the same problem and now I get 10mb up and 1mb down and a click any file and get 200k if lucky..

I use http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/ every day to log list and THEY still will not send some out..!

I HATE BT!