cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
IanBJ
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

2 new APN setups for BT Mobile on Android phone?

Hi. I've just switched to BT Broadband and BT Mobile. Having installed the BT SIM, unlocked my (O2) phone and activated the new BT SIM I got a text from BT referring me to bt.com/setupmyphone .

Choosing the Android sub-page (How to change APN settings on an Android mobile phone), that leads you through 2 manual "New APN" setups.

Are these manual APN setups actually a)necessary, and b) helpful?

I don't appear to have any old APNs left over from my O2 mobile setup and that all worked ok, so I wonder why BT needs them set. Or is it just old technology?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
orozz
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: 2 new APN setups for BT Mobile on Android phone?

On my android phone, under wireless and networks there is an internet option to automatically obtain and install the APN details for internet and MMS.
0 Ratings
orozz
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 8

You need an APN for the internet to work.
0 Ratings
IanBJ
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Hi orozz.  I don't appear to have that option on mine...    But I still wonder why they're needed since when on O2 I don't think there were any APNs set and yet all worked ok.

0 Ratings
nikiandemma
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

The APN settings which my Google Pixel 3 downloaded automatically has ruined my mobile data speeds. When I had the exact same SIM in my iPhone 8 I could get over 100Mbps from the same mast however putting the same SIM into the pixel just seconds later throttles the speeds to sub 20Mbps. I absolutely conclude this to be due to the APN settings. The amount of testing and data used points to nothing other than these settings.
I have started my own thread on here last week but nobody has replied to it, presumably because either nobody understands technically or cares. It'd be interesting to know if other android or Pixel 3 users in particular vouch for the same experience and can get speeds above 20Mbps.
The settings can be edited but then mobile data does not work and the phone defaults back very quickly to these 'unfit for purpose' settings.
I am a BT Plus user so I expect better instead of restrictions.
0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 8

If memory serves correct, you're supposed to receive 2 text messages and restart your device. This clears any old APN settings and replaces them with the correct BT ones, you should then only see the BT settings in your APN list. 

If you see any other APN settings then the BT ones either haven't been received correctly or haven't been remembered.

@nikiandemma 

In theory 4G download speed is up to 150Mbps, in practice 20Mbps is typical (https://www.4g.co.uk/how-fast-is-4g/)

0 Ratings
nikiandemma
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Thanks for the response. I receive the 'everywhere' settings every time I restart my device and this does tally up with the settings on the BT website help pages however as soon as I take the SIM out and put it back in my iPhone 8 I'm back to normal again. This swapping phones is done in the same place within minutes so I know the speeds I normally get it's just the Pixel 3 APN settings which reduce the speeds.
It's a real shame as I like my new Pixel but the iPhone just works as it should. I regularly get speeds in excess of 180Mbps as I'm a Plus customer, my local site provides carrier aggregation and my iPhone 8 supports it. However the APN settings which this Pixel 3 receives from BT are restricting speeds to sub 20Mbps in the same location using the same SIM at the same time.
0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 8

Hi.

Are you testing mobile data rate or wifi?

A mobile data rate of 180 Mbps simply isn't possible with an iphone 8 it's only rated at 28.6Mbps (for mobile data).

0 Ratings