cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JohnKelly
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 22

40p charge

I have a 40p charge on my BT Mobile app. Absolutely no detail in the extra charges section. Most likely culprit is a picture message. Where is it? I have gone through my texts and there aren't any. I don't send pictures as texts. Why am I being charged 40p?

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted
Moderator-Retired
Message 2 of 22

Re: 40p charge

@JohnKelly Have you checked your online account here as you should get a detailed breakdown on www.bt.com. 

0 Ratings
JohnKelly
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 22

Thanks for that. Last night on my mobile I just couldn't get that to work. It is a message and it is somehow an MMS and now I know who it was to I've found it on my phone. It's a long message with an emoji smiley in the middle of it but I have an emoji in loads of messages and have never been charged for them. My old O2 contract never incurred charges like this and I sent massive long messages on that. Is this standard BT charging?

0 Ratings
JohnKelly
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 22

This is the message....

It's a new role. Same money but different work. It's on security so I can't tell you anything about it ☺

I hope people actually turn up and practice tonight otherwise if there is a game Saturday we'll not have a team. Seth is in the Welsh athletics all weekend so won't be able to play

There are 286 characters including spaces. Why would this be an MMS as opposed to a text message. A message I sent earlier had 240 characters in it and a football emoji and that was a standard SMS. Long SMS messages (over 160?) should be split into multiple SMS and recombined at the far end. I regularly send messages over 160 characters for a children's football team and this is the first time I've seen an MMS

0 Ratings
Dode
Expert
Message 5 of 22

Could it be your phone sees the emoji as an image? I seem to recall some phones having this problem a while back.

0 Ratings
JohnKelly
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 22

@Dode wrote:

Could it be your phone sees the emoji as an image? I seem to recall some phones having this problem a while back.

No - I've sent emojis on loads of messages and that's the only one which has "decided" to be an MMS. I'm 99% sure it's
phone related but have no idea what might have done it. I've changed my Multimedia messages setting from Free to Restricted so hopefully it won't happen again. I wouldn't have minded if I'd decided to send a picture, although 40p even for that feels like a complete rip off.

0 Ratings
Seamaster
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 22

This sometimes happens on iOS devices when the recipient has no data connection. iMessage gives up after a while and sends an old school MMS instead. There's a setting you can toggle to prevent it.
JohnKelly
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 22

Done it again. Cut and paste too many characters and missed my phone warning me it was converting it into an MMS. I would really like the option for this to not be allowed on my contract. I don't want to send MMS text messages. This seems like a trap to gain more income from people making mistakes.  I have unlimited texts so why would I want an option to send a slightly bigger text and get charged for it when I could have it rejected and break it into two texts.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 22

Providers have no control over what's sent from a phone so it's a bit much to suggest that it's a trap. The simple fact is that MMS are out of plan items on BT Mobile, in line with most if not all other providers. How do you expect them to distinguish between intentional and accidental MMS?

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
23prince
Contributor
Message 10 of 22

Could it be that they are charging for data during the roll over? For the third time now I have been charged for random data on the 3rd of the month, despite having 13GB left from last month.

And it's starting to **bleep** me off. I was planning to get a second sim but as this keeps happening I can't wait to **bleep** leave!

0 Ratings