Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
JohnKelly
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 22

Re: 40p charge

@pottyperson wrote:

Providers have no control over what's sent from a phone so it's a bit much to suggest that it's a trap. The simple fact is that MMS are out of plan items on BT Mobile, in line with most if not all other providers. How do you expect them to distinguish between intentional and accidental MMS?

Providers know that an MMS is being sent from a phone. They have to know that in order to charge for it. If I could set my extra spend at £0 on the phone then I'd never send any MMS messages. That should be an option. I'd like to be able to turn it off completely at the BT end. I should be in control of that functionality. It's a trap in that it's easy to fall into it and you normally don't find out till much later on.

I send out multiple texts to 30 or more people in one go fairly regularly as part of my junior football role in the local community. If I accidentally type too much and make one of them an MMS then that's a £12 minimum extra charge on my bill that month. I really do check those texts to make sure they are texts but on Saturday morning when there was a rushed text to send out to cancel the game that morning  I could easily have made an error in my cut and paste and made it an MMS.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 12 of 22

Hi JohnKelly, I have a Samsung S4 Mini and including the smily faces created a charge for me. I found that this was a system programme in my phone by Samsung, although it didn't do it in my older Samsung phone.

I decided to use WhatsApp and that enables me to send smileys etc with no problem.

The only problem you would have would be getting everyone to sign up for WhatsApp in the first instance.

Stew

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 13 of 22

I have also found this to delete MMS from your phone. If it works for you.

Stew

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 14 of 22

Yes, it would be helpful to be able to set the spend cap at zero. That's a separate issue though; it's discussed elsewhere on the forum and the outcome seems to be that BT won't offer it, reason unclear.

On Android you can prevent group messages being converted to MMS. Go to Messages > Menu > Settings > Multimedia Messages (MMS) > uncheck "Turn on group MMS".

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
YN
Message 15 of 22

Hi I have only just joined BT mobile and have unlimited texts, will I be charged 40p if I put a smiley face at the end of a message?

thanks

0 Ratings
mcronline
Contributor
Message 16 of 22

@YN I am not charged but some people are. I guess it depends on the length of the message and the model of phone. I would recommend sending a message with a smiley and rechecking your Bill using the mobile app
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 17 of 22

It depends on the phone and/or its settings. There are suggestions in this thread on how to avoid conversion to MMS.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Distinguished Guru
Message 18 of 22

When adding a self created smiley, like 🙂  (written as colon followed closed bracket) - do some phones auto convert to a picture of an emoji, or does that happen on sending ?

This forum converts on sending, but a preview shows the smiley face.

0 Ratings
YN
Message 19 of 22

thank you, will give it a try.
0 Ratings
TerryB5254
Beginner
Message 20 of 22

I have 3 lots of mms messages on my bill this month to +10020250100

BT advised I had sent MMS - I advised I had not 
I also advised I had not made a call to a +1 (USA) number
BT advised I had
They then advised me to google the number which I did and found it belongs to EE a BT Group company

BT advised EE was nothing to do with them they just used the network

I advised that the EE Forum had issues as well but it seems EE clinets also face the same issue but EE Customer service seems to respond differently to BT i.e. from the EE Forum :-

1 I've just found a picture message to this number on my bill and contacted EE. They credited me with 40p and said they would investigate the number.

2 As he was looking at my account etc his manager became aware and pulled him off the call briefly. There is a know fault where the system thinks you've sent a picture text message to a landline. Not sure why but it is being looked in to, he credited me back and said to keep and eye on the account. They are working on it though
On a separate note, well done to the guy at EE, was excellent customer service

0 Ratings