cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 1 of 17

5G on BT Mobile

We’re making 5G available to all our BT Mobile customers. And with some exciting handset releases on the way – there’s no better time to unleash the power of 5G.

Why 5G?

It’s around ten times faster than 4G. That means you can:

• download a full movie in seconds
  • load Facebook and Instagram lightning-fast
  • enjoy gaming with less lag
  • make smoother video calls.

You’ll have a reliable signal when it matters. No more competing for signal at the football on a Saturday. No more missing out on live streaming that unmissable gig.

With 5G you can stay in touch and share what you’re up to faster than ever before.

Where can I get 5G?

We’ve already rolled out 5G across the UK’s four capital cities – London, Edinburgh, Cardiff, and Belfast – as well as Birmingham, Manchester, Leicester, Coventry, and Bristol.

In fact, we’ve now rolled out to 50 cities and large towns and we’re adding more places all the time.

Use our coverage checker to find out if your area is covered by 5G.

16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 17

Re: 5G on BT Mobile

Can I have 4G first please......
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 17

When the S20 comes out, If I buy it, and use my sim only contract with BT, can I access 5G?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 17

@arjanvirdi 5G isn't available to BT Mobile customers yet.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 17

Hi @SeanD  as we have a family sim only contract will we get 5g as well. Or is it only customers with a handset and sim contract. Also if we do get 5g will we need replacement sims, thanks in advance for your assistance .

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 6 of 17

@chestermills @arjanvirdi   As it stands today you would need a 5G phone plan from BT, which means both a phone and a 5G sim plan.

https://www.bt.com/mobile/5g 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 17

Hi @Andy005 

Many thanks for your quick reply. It would seem that the title of this post is a bit misleading. Why state 5g is available to all BT mobile customers and not mention that you have to have a handset and a 5g sim from BT.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 8 of 17

@chestermillswrote:

Hi @Andy005 

Many thanks for your quick reply. It would seem that the title of this post is a bit misleading. Why state 5g is available to all BT mobile customers and not mention that you have to have a handset and a 5g sim from BT.

I think @chestermills that prior to this particular announcement, customers had to be on Halo 2 to be able to have 5G with BT. All this is announcing is that the Halo requirement has been removed. The handset and sim requirement hasn't changed since they started offering 5G.

BT rarely seem to make things as clear as they could, or maybe should do.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 17

Thanks again @Andy005 for explaining what is required to get 5G.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 17

Hi,

I have switched to BT via the website, following conversations with several CS analysts (online & on phone) that I would be able to get 5g as I'm on Halo 250 & added the unlimited SIM.

I got my SIM yesterday, and in areas where I should have a 5g symbol on my phone it appears that I don't have 5g. On contacting the chat, I'm told that because I didn't buy the phone from BT, 5g can't be guaranteed.

It's a Samsung Note 10+ 5g bought directly from Samsung (As I had stated every time I spoke to people) & I am in Leeds (5g enabled), so it should work. Surely all that is required is my account to have the 5g enabled (as the CS said)

I'm baffled why it's so unclear & inconsistent in message.

Who can I speak to to get the service I was told I would get?

0 Ratings