Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 11 of 17

Re: 5G on BT Mobile

Hi @lp77,

Thanks for the post and welcome to the Community.  I am so sorry that you have not been able to use your BT Mobile 5G SIM in your Samsung phone, or that you are receiving inconsistent messages from us, about whether your SIM will work in your 5G enabled phone.

I have looked into this and unfortunately, BT sells 5G SIM and handset bundles. If you use your BT SIM in another 5G device, we can’t guarantee it'll work, or provide any ongoing device support. 

I appreciate that this will come as a disappointment and I am so sorry that this wasn’t made clear when you placed the order.  If you contact the BT Mobile team on 0800 800 150, they will discuss your options considering you are paying for a service you cant fully utilise.

If you face any further problems when speaking with our Mobile team, please come back here and let us know?

Cheers

Sean

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 12 of 17

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it has been a pointless 24 hours.

I want to be with BT, as it makes sense, and if you go on the BT app under my halo benefits, it says that I can get 5g as part of my no limits, but I've spent a few hours on my phone finding out after switching that I can't. 

It actually makes very little sense, given that my device is the exact same device BT sells (the note 10 5g direct from SAmsung), and I'm in a 5g area. It seems like there's literally a switch that could be pressed to turn it on, but given that seems beyond anyone, I'll probably end up going with EE, for 9 quid more a month, but the money going into the same pot at the top. Madness!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 13 of 17

This is the exact wording I got from a BT sales representative when I signed up to their broadband. The said if I pay the extra for "No Limits" plan I will get 5G & unlimited data. I have been paying for months.

Then when I called the other day due to a problem with my unlimited data showing as 200gb. I was told i have to buy a handset to get 5g. Also, the unlimited issue wasn't solved for me.

The representative spoke to me as if it's my fault for misunderstanding. But after your comment, it looks like BT and their sales team didn't know what they were doing and just wanted to make a sale and sign people up for misleading contracts. I am really upset about this.

This breaks the consumer law.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/changed-your-mind/if-you-were-misled-or-pressured-into-bu...
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 14 of 17

Can I just get clarification on your statement:

"...we can’t guarantee it'll work, or provide any ongoing device support. "

Will it work or not, I can't believe it is a variation of either, like other posters, as a Halo customer, and recent press I believed I would get 5G, so I bought a 5G phone, will it be a chocolate teapot or not? (have 3 family SIMs so invested BT Mobile)

Mick

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 15 of 17

I am afraid this is incorrect, 5G is not available to all BT Mobile customers.  I have a 5G S20+ direct from Samsung and live in a 5G enabled city.  No 5G on my phone and following a disappointing phone call with customer service, unless your 5G mobile is purchased from BT then regardless of whether your a Halo/Plus customer etc, you'll not benefit from 5G. 

Needless to say, I've now got my PAC code and given that I have my broadband and mobile bundled, I'll be changing my broadband when that contract is up on May.  

It's sad really given the statements made by BT regarding 5G, that I should find them to be lacking in the context which really should have been made clear i.e. '5G available to all BT Mobile customers as long as you take out a BT 5G mobile phone contact.  SIM Only not included.'

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 16 of 17

Hi. Hopefully will we see 5G soon for sim only customers? Would hate to leave BT.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 17 of 17

It’s a commercial decision. BT obviously make more if they sell you a phone as well. Early adopters always get to pay more. Eventually it will be available on SIM-Only I am sure. Maybe when the 5G iPhone comes out as a lot of people buy those direct from Apple.

0 Ratings